86 Cutlass Tailpipe????

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sep 1, 2006
Tampa Bay Area
I have the hangers both on the mufflers and the tailpipes, but it sits a little tweaked due to the weight imbalance. I can get it right with a jack, but it just falls soon after.

As for how my car was done, it looks like it came that way from GM, right down to a stock air cleaner--but it is a dual snorkel off an F body, not a G body. I also put the Camaro compressor brackets, Evaporator and hoses from the same application so that I would not need to use a modified set of G body hoses. I have no chrome, and it's all GM black-including the Edelbrock intake. I even swapped the wiring harness to one from a 305 G body to be sure it all fits as GM intended it to--even if GM did not build them that way. I am getting MSD plug wires in black, and an MSD distributor that I will paint the cap gloss black on to keep the factory vibe.

85_SS

G-Body Guru
Nov 6, 2005
Ontario, Canada
Sounds like we have similar themes for our engine bays. My dual snorkel breather is home made using GM parts, but I do have a L69 Camaro breather as well.

100_0761jpg_Thumbnail1.jpg

...I like the blackout look, but it sure is a pain to keep clean!

Vern

Master Mechanic
Jul 23, 2007
Dayton, OH
Nice clean engine bay tastefully done. I like the dual snorkles and how the shaker seals but is there any reason you did not make the shaker functional or is it dually functional with the snorkles? I like the Pontiac underhood braces as well. When I first did my 88 I made a home made factory looking dual snorkle before I made the functional 80s Hurst Olds looking hood.

Like yourself I also dig the factory looking modifications where if you didn't know better, and also the reversable thing especially when done to a GN/Ttype/HO/442/MCSS/2+2. My Cadillac 509 will be able to come back out of the 442 to return the vin9 307 without any problems should someone want to do that in the future including the AC. My factory gbody AC will work with the Cad btw. Same thing with yours or my flat hood. Things like the support bars, better factory sway bars, widened factory ralleys, even electric fans fuel pumps serpentine systems etc especially if it can look factoryish. On my 442 I even made the factory tach and oil pressure guages work with the Cad as well as electric fans hidden by the factory radiator shroud. One thing I have been really pleased with that I wish more gbody enthusiasts would consider is useing the electric intank fuel pumps ala Grand National/GN replacement tank and hanger. I actually use mine with a carberator and a return style regulator. Cheaper easier better than a problematic gravity fed crash hazzard out of tank electric pump & sump setup.

85_SS

G-Body Guru
Nov 6, 2005
Ontario, Canada
Thanks - and yes, the shaker has a functional flap kit installed on it (activated at WOT) along with the dual snorkels. All 73+ shakers were purely cosmetic from the factory, and I didn't like the idea of just hacking the back of the shaker out without protection from rain (should you get caught in it). Here's the kit I installed:

www.pontiacplus.com

Another thing I always do - if I mod any part that can't be undone (like the air breather for example, I always make sure I have or buy a spare so it can be undone. I even bought an extra brake pedal when I cut mine down for the 5-speed setup :)

Vern

Master Mechanic
Jul 23, 2007
Dayton, OH
Very cool. I had a friend back in the day that had an 81 Camaro with a factory forced air induction system that worked just like your shaker. Unfortunately mine is open at the back but is probably 4 inches from the holes to the filter. I just try to light foot it in the rain and have never had a problem. 509 cubes of long stroke motor needs light footed in the rain anyway. 8)

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor