'86 Grand Prix Rehab

Status
Not open for further replies.

justacruzr2

Greasemonkey
Jun 16, 2017
Midlothian, Illinois
And I did find out from that same shop, because he located and printed out the schematics of the wiper circuit for me, that the turn indicator/wiper washer switch in the column is definitely different when you have interval wipers so I will need to change the switch in the column. According to the schematics, both ways use the same 4 wires (pink, purple, grey and dark green) and they look like they plug into to main harness the same way either way. That should mean that I don't need to change the main harness. The wiring difference is resolved at the wiper motor. The wiper motor will need to be changed too. They are not the same between interval and non-interval wipers. The interval wiper motor has a circuit board integral with the motor that handles the delay time. Thanks for the added info.

justacruzr2

Greasemonkey
Jun 16, 2017
Midlothian, Illinois
It'll be four levers & two switches. The levers as noted as no delay/no cruise, no delay/cruise, delay/no cruise, delay/cruise. The actual switch is no delay or delay. '84-'88 G's can interchange wiper switches (no dealy for no dealy, delay for dealy.) Also since you ar not plaining to have cruise '82 -'88 levers will interchange (as with any GM using the same/simular desing Saginaw column.)
OK it's spring time and getting ready to hit it. The first job I'm doing is the instrument panel removal. I need to check the main wiring harness between the instrument panel and the firewall. This GP doesn't have any instrument panel courtesy lights (the ones under the panel that shine down on the floor) which I find curious. Hard to believe that wasn't standard but it looks like that might be the case as the holes in the lower modesty panels don't look like they ever had a screw in them. Or it might be that the previous owner disconnected them. In any case I need to see that harness to see if there were connectors for them. I already have all the instrumentation out and the 2 hidden screws under the phony speaker grille on top of the panel under the windshield, I know that the column nuts need to be removed and the column dropped but I think there might be at least 2 more somewhere on the sides? Anybody done this before and know where they are?

PBGBodyFan

G-Body Guru
Mar 3, 2009
Wisconsin
Are you pulling the whole dash or just those sound deadening panels underneath?

justacruzr2

Greasemonkey
Jun 16, 2017
Midlothian, Illinois
The whole dash. It might turn out that the harness is also different between interval wipers and standard 2 speed wipers. Got to see to make sure. Might as well get this all done at the same time.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor