86 MCSS Exhaust Question

Local Hero

G-Body Guru
Nov 24, 2016
Northcoast, Cleveland, Ohio
For the last few weeks, I've been reviving my sister's bone stock MCSS that had sat idle for about 10 years.

IMG_20230727_112803374.jpg

Upon initial start-up, I discovered not a cracked, but completely BROKEN exhaust manifold. I was able to get that removed. This car still has ALL emission and smog stuff still on it and we don't have any plans to remove any of it. I just want to get it back going running like she remembers it. The original exhaust is still on it.

IMG_20230803_212027975_MP.jpg

In getting the manifold off, I found this flap valve between it and the down pipe. I've never really dealt with this before. Whatever mechanism operates it from closed to open appears to be either missing or broken. What is it's purpose and can I just rig it so it stays open all the time.?

IMG_20230804_084823424.jpg
IMG_20230804_085133753_MP.jpg

Thanks guys!

79 USA 1

Royal Smart Person
Sep 2, 2011
Cheektowaga, New York
That is the EFE valve, blocks off the exhaust flow from the right exhaust bank redirecting it back through a passage in the heads in the center exhaust ports, under the intake to the left side head and exhaust. Used to help on cold starts to warm the intake charge. On my 88 SS I took and carefully cut the flapper out with a dremel and a cut off wheel. In your case just be sure to plug the vacuum line that runs down to the vacuum dashpot that should have been attached to it.
Should look like this.

E1089.JPG

Reactions: 1 user

Local Hero

G-Body Guru
Nov 24, 2016
Northcoast, Cleveland, Ohio
Thank you for confirming. I did find the vacuum line that was previously plugged and the vacuum solenoid was either removed or it rusted and fell off. I had no idea what the vacuum line went to because the solenoid is gone. I've since simplified some of the vacuum line routing whilel I've been working on it.

Reactions: 1 user

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor