86 MCSS stock a/c with ls swap ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

johnnunez29

Greasemonkey
May 9, 2022
Ok im getting ready to have my firewall prepared, i asked the body shop guy and he told me i need to get rid of the stock ac because it will not allow space for the ls (lq9). i know ive seen many ls swaps using stock a/c so im pretty sure thats bs. But is there any reason why i should go with a unit like vintage air over stock? its like 2k + of money that will never be back, but i dont want to drop in the engine and find out that the stock ac system is all trash. Also, do need to run any special vove covers in this swap? He mentioned that there will be no space to remove the rear plugs. TIA

81cutlass

Comic Book Super Hero
Feb 16, 2009
Western MN
The AC box can clear the LS without an issue as long as the right combo of mounts are used.

The main application where the new vintage air aftermarket G body HVAC box fits best (IMO) is
1. people who buy a G body with the HVAC box ripped out 10 years ago and wants HVAC again
2. people who want a really clean firewall for a no money limit show car
3. people that have crazy turbo piping and need room

If its an NA LS, AC with the stock box has been done 1000 times. If you have a working existing stock HVAC box and aren't going with a crazy engine, there isn't much need to go with the vintage air box.

The valve cover coil mount boss gets really close to the valve cover. The farther down or forward the engine the more room. I have my engine about as far back and up as you can put it, and I just trimmed my rear coil bracket boss off the valve cover.

I have no issue getting to my spark plugs with the HVAC box installed.

Reactions: 4 users

dmac35242

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Dec 23, 2021
Birmingham, AL
I used Dirty Dingo engine mounts on my swap.
I'll 100% agree with what's posted above.
I swapped to a Sanden compressor and bracket system and used factory parts to rebuild my system and move the compressor to the right side of the engine.
I have shorty headers and spark plug access is not an issue.

Reactions: 1 user

johnnunez29

Greasemonkey
May 9, 2022
I used Dirty Dingo engine mounts on my swap.
I'll 100% agree with what's posted above.
I swapped to a Sanden compressor and bracket system and used factory parts to rebuild my system and move the compressor to the right side of the engine.
I have shorty headers and spark plug access is not an issue.
I read somewhere that there is specific mounts that work. I have a 4l80 mount just need the engine mounts. I’d much rather stick to the stock stuff if I have space, I do plan on going TT but later on down the road.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor