86 monte carlo ss ecu ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

88ss408

Master Mechanic
Feb 25, 2007
baie st anne n.b
i have a 86 monte carlo and the wiring harness is all butchered up and the ecu is gone and i was wondering if i could take a harness out of a 88 chevy efi truck and use it ? as for all the pluging's are the same except of the injectors of corse and if i change the prom in the ecu would it work with that also ?
it's the same distributor and the same plug's on the carb

thanks

86CLCruiser

Apprentice
May 4, 2008
i have an 87 SS in a local junk yard, not available to strip yet, waiting for DMV to clear the title. I will keep an eye on it and let you kow when its clear, so if you still need it i can try to grab it for you

crappycutlass

Master Mechanic
May 28, 2007
i want to rip all that sh*t out of mine.... whats it do anyways?.. my 87,83 84 didnt have any of that bs...

let me know and you can have my olds stuff

Sep 1, 2006
Tampa Bay Area
The EFI harness from a truck will not have much in common with your car, unless you convert it to EFI. Which harness do you need? There are 4 or 5 of them under the hood. There is a lighting harness, a main charging and ignition harness, a cruise control harness, A/C harness, and a ECU harness.

crappycutlass

Master Mechanic
May 28, 2007
OK i took all mine off... ECU and harness...most of it anyways.... whoever said you need it for the carb to work and car to run is full of it... all my air pump, wiring, ECU and whatever else are now gone and cars working great..

LMK if you want this ECU or imma toss in out

Sep 1, 2006
Tampa Bay Area
Well, it will run without it, but it is not as good. I ran my Olds without it for a year. However, your best bet will be getting a 1976-80 non computer Quadrajet off a car or truck with a 305, plus a non computer HEI as well.

crappycutlass

Master Mechanic
May 28, 2007
^^ well.. i dunno.. it seems to actually work better... idles better too... its odd..

i also got rid of the EGR, cruise and everything but the charcoal canister..

back to basics...

:lol:

88ss408

Master Mechanic
Feb 25, 2007
baie st anne n.b
well thats the only reason i wanted to get a harness is because iwanted to use my q-jet carb i rebuilt it over the winter and now i do not want to buy another one or even spend any extra money on a harness or ecu if i could have made the one off my parts truck work it would have been great
but if it will work with out it then thats good

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor