86 radio trim in an 83?

Status
Not open for further replies.

HurstOlds

Master Mechanic
Sep 21, 2007
Illinois
Hey guys,

Just a quick question. I used to have an 86 cutlass with digital radio. I just picked up an 83 cutlass with old style radio. I want to update the radio, but I don't want to have holes where the knobs are.

Basically, can I put '86 trim in my '83? Will it fit, and just snap right in?

The 86 is kind of a square opening, the 83 is a rectangle opening but the knobs are also on either side of the opening.

I'd upload pics but I'm having issues, let me know what you think. Thanks

HurstOlds

Master Mechanic
Sep 21, 2007
Illinois
Pic borrowed from 86CutlassUCF, thanks dude. This is of an 86 with aftermarket radio:

2525252.jpg

midwestls

Royal Smart Person
Aug 15, 2007
Bismarck North Dakota
far as I know same thing. I think I've done it before. Just try it it only takes a sec to snap it in.

86CutlassUCF

Master Mechanic
Nov 14, 2008
Central FL
HurstOlds said:
Pic borrowed from 86CutlassUCF, thanks dude. This is of an 86 with aftermarket radio:

2525252.jpg

no problem lol. that aftermarket radio actually made the trim stick out in the bottom. i went to the junkyard and grabbed an orignal radio and put that one back in :D . it doesnt work but my exhaust one day will be too loud for radio anyways.

Chillin014

Master Mechanic
Nov 9, 2007
houston/richmond tx
notice how the aftermarket radio face is pointing upwards. How the hell do you properly mount one of these things? There are no brackets in there or anything to at least hold the back up.

and to the OP- I just cut up my stock unit, you cant really tell from a distance that anything else was there before...no holes or anything odd.

gs dewd

Greasemonkey
May 25, 2008
Crimora, Va
Chillin014 said:
notice how the aftermarket radio face is pointing upwards. How the hell do you properly mount one of these things? There are no brackets in there or anything to at least hold the back up.

and to the OP- I just cut up my stock unit, you cant really tell from a distance that anything else was there before...no holes or anything odd.

There is a mounting plate you can buy to mount the radio in. Walmart sells them. Thats where I bought mine and I used the trim plate from a newer model. My car is a 80'. So i know the kit will work with newer models and it cost about $10.

HurstOlds

Master Mechanic
Sep 21, 2007
Illinois
Thanks guys for posting up. I'd rather keep my stock trim piece for if/when I want to put the car interior back to 'stock'.

I'm not that concerned about non-matching wood grain, but here's a thought....

Will all of the wood grain pieces from an 86 swap into my 83? I can get a set of all pieces from my junk yard. I was just going to get the radio piece, but I guess I could swap in all of them to have the wood grain match.

So what do you think, will the pieces near all of the vents swap into my 83 as well?

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor