Royal Smart Person
Aug 15, 2007
Bismarck North Dakota
They'll fit just fine :lol:

Blake442

Geezer
Apr 24, 2007
Minneapolis
If you're concerned about it matching, it's much easier just to get the correct face plate for the radio, instead of switching all the other pieces to match the one you have.

I bought a radio bezel off ebay a few months ago in almost perfect shape for $1+shipping.

6d28_1.JPG

dudeface

Master Mechanic
Aug 18, 2008
calgary alberta canada
I got extra interior radio face plates in both woodgrain styles 79 - 85 and 86 - 88, also got interior bezels for lights, clock and clock delete, also passenger vent. anybody interested hit me with a pm and I can set you up.
get a lot of 4 door cutlass supremes up in canada lately at the junkyards. they must be all finally dieing out. interior dash stuff is basically the same, and usually in better shape because the older folks bought the cars. check the 4 doors boys. almost always a power sear in the 4 doors to!!

peace

Chillin014

Master Mechanic
Nov 9, 2007
houston/richmond tx
gs dewd said:
Chillin014 said:
notice how the aftermarket radio face is pointing upwards. How the hell do you properly mount one of these things? There are no brackets in there or anything to at least hold the back up.

and to the OP- I just cut up my stock unit, you cant really tell from a distance that anything else was there before...no holes or anything odd.

There is a mounting plate you can buy to mount the radio in. Walmart sells them. Thats where I bought mine and I used the trim plate from a newer model. My car is a 80'. So i know the kit will work with newer models and it cost about $10.

man someone told me that before but I could NOT find it. Do you have a link to something online? :oops: I'll stop by walmart tomorrow and see if I can get it.

Chillin014

Master Mechanic
Nov 9, 2007
houston/richmond tx
Blake442 said:
If you're concerned about it matching, it's much easier just to get the correct face plate for the radio, instead of switching all the other pieces to match the one you have.

I bought a radio bezel off ebay a few months ago in almost perfect shape for $1+shipping.

6d28_1.JPG

I like that one, it looks like it has dual din spacing so you could have half of that be a pocket for change and loose junk. It doesnt look like it would work in my 83 though, I dont see any screw holes.

dudeface

Master Mechanic
Aug 18, 2008
calgary alberta canada
Chillin014 said:
gs dewd said:
Chillin014 said:
notice how the aftermarket radio face is pointing upwards. How the hell do you properly mount one of these things? There are no brackets in there or anything to at least hold the back up.

and to the OP- I just cut up my stock unit, you cant really tell from a distance that anything else was there before...no holes or anything odd.

There is a mounting plate you can buy to mount the radio in. Walmart sells them. Thats where I bought mine and I used the trim plate from a newer model. My car is a 80'. So i know the kit will work with newer models and it cost about $10.

man someone told me that before but I could NOT find it. Do you have a link to something online? :oops: I'll stop by walmart tomorrow and see if I can get it.

easier soloution to this problem, simply get a piece of foam (can by it in the craft section) and place it under the stereo before ya put the unit in............also gives some shock absorbtion for bumpy roads like the ones in calgary

Chillin014

Master Mechanic
Nov 9, 2007
houston/richmond tx
the problem with that is that there is nothing holding the head unit in place. Taking off from a stop or braking allows the head unit to move around and fall back into the dash.
I'll spend the 10+ bucks...I just can't seem to find one on their website that looks like it will work.

gs dewd

Greasemonkey
May 25, 2008
Crimora, Va
The plate I'm talking about actually mounts the radio into your dash and you can use a fact trim panel with it.(a newer one of course). You should find it in the radio section of walmart it is the scosche brand. You could also go to walmart.com of scosche.com and do a serch for gm1503b or gm1500b (actual part numbers for the kit) and buy it from there. I used the gm1503b when I installed my radio.

Chillin014

Master Mechanic
Nov 9, 2007
houston/richmond tx
I appreciate the help man.
The 1500 is the only one it pulled up. I saw this one when I was looking earlier but I wasnt sure if it was the right size. I will have to go check walmart tomorrow!
0003399111500_500X500.jpg

Blake442

Geezer
Apr 24, 2007
Minneapolis
Chillin014 said:
Blake442 said:

6d28_1.JPG

I like that one, it looks like it has dual din spacing so you could have half of that be a pocket for change and loose junk. It doesnt look like it would work in my 83 though, I dont see any screw holes.

???? All of the bezels from '78-'88 mount the same way, with clips in the back of the piece, and none of them have screw holes.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor