86 Salon starter removal?

Status
Not open for further replies.

bonesninja

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Feb 15, 2009
Lima, Ohio
Anyone know exactly what i need to remove to remove the starter on a 307 86 Salon? I think i have blown fusible link not allowing my battery to charge.

bonesninja

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Feb 15, 2009
Lima, Ohio
Well I just decided to go in blind, since the manual is very generic. First thing I did was spray everything down under the car with Engine Degreaser last night. This helped get rid of a bunch of gunky buildup under there. So the starter is drivers side, rear engine. I disconnected the battery, then jacked up the drivers side and used a pair of jack stands to stay safe. Its a fairly simple job....made even easier if you take off the drivers side front wheel for manuevering room. You need a 10mm socket, a 15mm socket, and a 5/16" socket to remove the starter. Start by removing the 4 10mm bolts holding the plastic dust cover on the torque converter, then on the front side (think front of the car) of the starter remove the 10mm nut from the bracket/heat shield. Then remove the 2 15mm bolts that hold the starter itself to the block. It will take some wiggling but it'll pull straight down then pull towards the rear of the car to clear the heat shield. Then you need 15mm socket to remove positive wire and fusible links ring terminals and then a 5/16" socket/nut driver to remove the purple wire that goes to the ignition.

Install in reverse making sure the ignition wire goes on the small stud and the other three wires go on the larger stud.

viola!

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor