87 442 carb always seems to drain gas from bowl

Status
Not open for further replies.

Clone TIE Pilot

Comic Book Super Hero
Aug 14, 2011
Galaxy far far away
I'm glad you found that before it caused a fire...

Thanks, as old as our cars are getting, its a good idea for all of us to check the fuel and brake hoses.

• Agree
Reactions: 1 users
Oct 14, 2008
Melville,Saskatchewan
As said, check all over and underneath for leaks. The needle and seat and fuel filter are good culprits to replace. The secondary air door is adjustable with a small screwdriver and Allen wrench underneath it to lock and unlock the adjustment screw.

• Agree
Reactions: 1 user

jiho

Royal Smart Person
Jul 26, 2013
Modern E10 gas evaporates out of the bowl faster than old plain gas.

I was doubting this, but apparently it's true, with E10 losing about 5% more than pure gasoline after 1 hour. The only good news is that E10 loses slightly more ethanol than gasoline, so it leaves a slightly higher concentration of gasoline in the bowl.

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: 2 users

Quadrajet Power

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Oct 20, 2016
Waring, TX
If your secondaries aren't opening, check to make sure the choke is completely disengaged. The primary choke flap should be completely open. If it is engaged at all, the secondary lock out will prevent secondary blades from opening.

Reactions: 1 user

Mat1227

Greasemonkey
Aug 28, 2010
Richfield, Ohio
Took the carb off and apart today. 1st thing I noticed, the gasket between top and body of carb was really stock together, shredded the gasket, and was really stuck to both half's of the carb, don't know if previous rebuilder used some kind of gasket sealer on this, I had to use a brass wire brush and razor blade to remove the gasket. cleaned everything, replaced all gaskets, accelerator pump, new filter that has the rubber end, new float, adjusted the choke, and idle, so far it's running pretty good, secondaries will now come in. If I had to narrow it down to what may have been the problem, I would guess the accelerator pump and or the gasket, for not starting after sitting a few days, and the choke adjustment for the secondaries. Thank you all for advise, I would have not thought the choke had any effect on the secondaries after the car was warmed up.

Mark

Last edited:

pontiacgp

blank
Mar 31, 2006
Kitchener, Ontario
I hope you put something on the horn gasket when you put it back together so if you have to take the horn (top) off again the gasket won't stick to the body or horn and tear. I use lithium grease to lightly cover both sides of the gasket, Longroof (aka Jack) uses chap stick on the gasket to keep it from sticking. If you didn't put anything on the gasket since you just put the carb back together you can probably remove the horn without damaging the gasket so you can use something on the gasket to protect it.

Mat1227

Greasemonkey
Aug 28, 2010
Richfield, Ohio
Took the carb off and apart today. 1st thing I noticed, the gasket between top and body of carb was really stock together, shredded the gasket, and was really stuck to both half's of the carb, don't know if previous rebuilder used some kind of gasket sealer on this, I had to use a brass wire brush and razor blade to remove the gasket. cleaned everything, replaced all gaskets, accelerator pump, new filter that has the rubber end, adjusted the choke, and idle, so far it's running pretty good, secondaries will now come in. If I had to narrow it down to what may have been the problem, I would guess the accelerator pump and or the gasket, for not starting after sitting a few days, and the choke adjustment for the secondaries. Thank you all for advise, I would have not thought the choke had any effect on the secondaries after the car was warmed up.

Mark

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor