87 Cutlass Supreme Build

Status
Not open for further replies.

87Cut1a55

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Sep 13, 2012
Starting the build this weekend. Just some pics of the car the way it sits now at the beginning. Will update the thread as I go along with info and pics. Thanks for looking. Input and comments are appreciated.

Attachments

• 221.jpg
    221.jpg
    519.6 KB · Views: 1,689
  • 223.jpg
    223.jpg
    48.1 KB · Views: 1,335
  • 225.jpg
    225.jpg
    502.8 KB · Views: 1,341
  • 227.jpg
    227.jpg
    47.6 KB · Views: 1,300
  • 230.jpg
    230.jpg
    506.6 KB · Views: 1,325
What is your build going to consist of? What are you doing? Nice looking car by the way.

Thanks! Plans for the car is a 383 stroker (I know some peoples opinions on this, but that's what I am going to go with) 700r trans, 3.73 posi. Along with a list of other small things I need to change or upgrade to work with this set up Interior will remain original besides a guage cluster on pillar and going to try to keep everything else original cosmetic wise. May or may not switch out the rims for some weld drag lites I have.

Sharp car! I have no problem with running the sbc 383 its good power cheap. Maybe not the most interesting or brand loyal but hard to argue the bang for the buck. Plus everybody and his brother knows how to fix or make one run which is a plus. Why not the 200-4R though as it costs the same to build up as a 700-R4 only you don't have to have your drive-shaft cut or buy new U joints to make it work. I ask because some people don't know that you can have them built for the same money.

PS The wheels look to be in really good shape. fwiw BFG makes 245/60/14s that fill out the wheelwells to give it more of a muscle car look. (25.6 tall) Don't know what you have now but if you like fattys & skinneys they work well with a 205/70/14 as they are 25.4 tall.

Dog-Thanks for the information. I will definitely look into the 200 a bit more, I never really gave it thought before. What is the difference between the 700 and 200 performance and durability wise? Sorry have worked on cars for a few years, but still new this whole part of it. The rims are in great shape, one of the big reasons I'm leaning towards leaving them on as well as I like the way they look.

Yea lots of people like how they look. The trouble is they are a skinney little rim for a bigger car if you want that muscle look which is why I mentioned the availability of those tire sizes. The right tire with it though helps to give it more of a serious performance car look while still looking factory and not shelling out money for wheels that you might like to spend elsewhere first.

I've had great luck with the original now rebuilt 200-4R in my GN and the original built up 200-4R in my 509 powered 442.
The 200-4R vs 700-R4 thing has been beat to death on this forum though. I suggest you do a search as its been well covered. For some info & comparison here is the outfit that built both of mine. http://extremeautomatics.com/transmissions/2004r.html
http://extremeautomatics.com/whattransd ... level.html

I will definitely do some research before making a decision. Thanks for the advice again.

I went down this road about a year ago with my transmission. I had a 700R4 from a Vette in my car and it was starting to slip. I spent hours on the computer and looked at lots of 700R4 shops to find the best bang for the buck. It seemed everyone had their claim to fame on the 700R4. I found that by the time I had one built to match every one's specs, they were all the same price, about $1800. Plus, I had linkage issues to address, as I hadn't sorted them out from the engine/trans swap.
Then I finally considered building my 200R4. It all made sense to have my 200R4 built. Shifting linkage resolved, better price, same claim of durability, plus Extreme Automatics is closer to me than any of the 700R4 shops I was considering. And my original trans is back in just in case I want to put it all back to stock. Now my car shifts like a Grand National! Awesome.
When I started looking into 200R4 shops, it always came back to Extreme or CKPerformance in NY. I think I read somewhere that they even worked together? Not sure about that anymore though.
IMO the only reason the 200R4 was dropped in favor of the 700R4 was the ability to put the 700R4 into 4WDs. The 200R4 doesn't have a removable tail. The 700R4 could go into everything, and it did.
My 2cents

Thanks for the input. In the past few hours I have been looking into the 200 some more. I am still stuck though, I can get a 700r4 new for just over a grand. My dad's good friend owns a performance parts store and I can get parts for the price they pay for them. That's the big reason I am stuck as to which way to go.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor