87 Cutlass Supreme Build

Status
Not open for further replies.
Does that include having your driveshaft cut & new U joints?

87Cut1a55 said:
Thanks for the input. In the past few hours I have been looking into the 200 some more. I am still stuck though, I can get a 700r4 new for just over a grand. My dad's good friend owns a performance parts store and I can get parts for the price they pay for them. That's the big reason I am stuck as to which way to go.
So, are you rebuilding it yourself, or is it a factory rebuild? If you can buy parts for a 700, can you buy the parts for a 200?

It comes from a trans builder near me. I can get parts for both as well as complete 200 and 700 rebuilds.

I guess if it's a guy you trust and he's local to you, it's going to make it a harder decision. One point to make regarding Extreme: he will modify a your 200R4 valve body to the BRF found only in the Grand Nationals and '89 TTAs. That's what gave them the kick in the *ss when it shifted. My brother had an '86 GN back in the day that would spin into second and occasionally chirp into third.

Yeah I've heard both good and bad about both. That makes the decision tough. I'm going up there this weekend, I'll have too talk everything over with the builder.

Sorry progress has been slow due to work and family.I couldn't find time to work on it up until recently. I got the 307 and trans out of the car about two weeks ago. I need to finish cleaning the engine bay to paint it. After that I am going to install all new fuel, brake and power steering lines.

Attachments

• 1352857312261.jpg
    1352857312261.jpg
    46.8 KB · Views: 556
  • 1352857334633.jpg
    1352857334633.jpg
    42.8 KB · Views: 561
  • 1352857369940.jpg
    1352857369940.jpg
    45.9 KB · Views: 560
dogshit said:
Sharp car! I have no problem with running the sbc 383 its good power cheap. Maybe not the most interesting or brand loyal but hard to argue the bang for the buck. Plus everybody and his brother knows how to fix or make one run which is a plus. Why not the 200-4R though as it costs the same to build up as a 700-R4 only you don't have to have your drive-shaft cut or buy new U joints to make it work. I ask because some people don't know that you can have them built for the same money.

PS The wheels look to be in really good shape. fwiw BFG makes 245/60/14s that fill out the wheelwells to give it more of a muscle car look. (25.6 tall) Don't know what you have now but if you like fattys & skinneys they work well with a 205/70/14 as they are 25.4 tall.

I also switched from the 200r4 to the 700r4 but not for the strength as much as for the fact that it has the lowest first gear ratio of just about all of the 4speed automatic transmissions out there, I like the way mine performs and mines only mildly built :bump:

Sounds like your car and mine are headed in much the same direction. Go with the 383 and don't worry about others opinions. Once the hood is closed, no one can tell if it's an Olds, Chevy or any other V8. If you do go with the 200-4R I would recommend the $380 billet forward drum. I've already sheared the splined portion off of a stock one.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor