87 Olds 307 radiator hose clearance

Status
Not open for further replies.

boyd4762

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Oct 31, 2009
Need help with my radiator hose on my 87' Olds Cutlass Supreme, it's too close to my alternator!!! :?:

Oldsmoletick

Royal Smart Person
Sep 18, 2009
cny
Easy fix if you have an electric fan.......get an upper hose for a 73 olds cutlass with a 350, much nicer routing away from the alternator, don't know if it would work with a stock fan though.

ENGINE.jpg

The upper hose is nowhere near the alt, but may interfere with a stock fan.

dan2286

Royal Smart Person
Mar 25, 2008
Cleveland, Ohio
Isn't there supposed to be something on the fan shroud that kinda holds back the rad hose?

kustomkyle

G-Body Guru
Apr 14, 2008
dan2286 said:
Isn't there supposed to be something on the fan shroud that kinda holds back the rad hose?

There is a plastic zip-tie/clip that holds it back, but it is more towards the center of the fan shroud. There should be a few inches between the alternator and the radiator hose. Was there any modifications done to the car or is the hose a generic piece, etc.?

boyd4762

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Oct 31, 2009
kustomkyle said:
dan2286 said:

There is a plastic zip-tie/clip that holds it back, but it is more towards the center of the fan shroud. There should be a few inches between the alternator and the radiator hose. Was there any modifications done to the car or is the hose a generic piece, etc.?
yeah, it is suppose to be a radiator shroud but i'm missing that piece. hopefully i'll find one in the salvage yard.

boyd4762

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Oct 31, 2009
Oldsmoletick said:
Easy fix if you have an electric fan.......get an upper hose for a 73 olds cutlass with a 350, much nicer routing away from the alternator, don't know if it would work with a stock fan though.

ENGINE.jpg

The upper hose is nowhere near the alt, but may interfere with a stock fan.
Great idea, but what type of vehicle did the electric fan come off of :?: you don't have any issues with overheating?

Oldsmoletick

Royal Smart Person
Sep 18, 2009
cny
boyd4762 said:
Great idea, but what type of vehicle did the electric fan come off of :?: you don't have any issues with overheating?

It is a dual fan from an 03 or 04 olds auroa V8, no problems overheating, the car will idle in traffic in 90+ degree weather at 180 degrees. I need to post better pics of it for someone else on here, I forgot to take them this morning though :blam: .

boyd4762

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Oct 31, 2009
Oldsmoletick said:
boyd4762 said:

It is a dual fan from an 03 or 04 olds auroa V8, no problems overheating, the car will idle in traffic in 90+ degree weather at 180 degrees. I need to post better pics of it for someone else on here, I forgot to take them this morning though :blam: .
have any new and better pics yet?

Oldsmoletick

Royal Smart Person
Sep 18, 2009
cny
Here are the pics of the fan, like I said did require quite a bit of trimming, upper and low radiator hoses and transmission lines, but as you can see it takes up the whole radiator. I haven't "finished" it off yet, plan on filling in the spots I had to cut so it looks a little nicer and come up with a better way to route the wires. For mounting, very simple, two 90 degree tabs bolt to the stock locations on the upper radiator top plate, and drilled two holes in the fan shroud. For the lower portion, I drilled one hole through the center of the shroud and used one of the transmission cooler straps to hold it. It's not the nicest looking thing yet, but it works excellent, and provides plenty of air movement.

thumbnail pics

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor