87' olds header panel repair

Status
Not open for further replies.

86-blk442

G-Body Guru
Dec 2, 2008
West Seneca, New York
A picture of the damage to the header would be good just to see what specifically needs to be done with it. But being a body guy I would start by, grooving out the crack with a cut off wheel or grinder, then grind the front and back sections of the area to be repaired. then apply SMC/fiberglass repair material to both sides with a layer of fiberglass mesh glued onto the back side of the area to be repaired with SMC. That will give the part its strength back. Then when the glue is dry you proceed with normal body work by sanding the glue down and using regular body filler/poly putty to smooth the area out. Follow up with primer and paint and your done.

boyd4762

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Oct 31, 2009
86-blk442 said:
A picture of the damage to the header would be good just to see what specifically needs to be done with it. But being a body guy I would start by, grooving out the crack with a cut off wheel or grinder, then grind the front and back sections of the area to be repaired. then apply SMC/fiberglass repair material to both sides with a layer of fiberglass mesh glued onto the back side of the area to be repaired with SMC. That will give the part its strength back. Then when the glue is dry you proceed with normal body work by sanding the glue down and using regular body filler/poly putty to smooth the area out. Follow up with primer and paint and your done.
OKAY, ONCE I FIGURE OUT HOW TO POST A PIC I UPLOAD IT ASAP...

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor