87 reverse lights restore

john87442

Master Mechanic
Supporting Member
Mar 9, 2021
Geneva ohio
Just wanted to see if anyone has a good method to recreate the red outline and silver on the reverse lights? I have a 87 442 that has decent lenses but red lines are faded and silver is scratched. I haven’t found replacement pieces for these yet. Thanks in advance

69hurstolds

Geezer
Supporting Member
Jan 2, 2006
NOS is your best bet and that’s tough to find as you well know.

The red is more of a muted red and definitely not glossy. The silver is not a heavy flake silver and has a silky sheen to it. And of course the outer edging was hot stamped chrome. You would have to do some creative masking to get the red perimeter stripe.

Just so happens that I got an NOS set I can drag out of storage and compare what shade of silver and red to match. The original ones on my car are excellent but may have some fading.

Reactions: 2 users

john87442

Master Mechanic
Supporting Member
Mar 9, 2021
Geneva ohio
Great I would appreciate the original photos. I would love to find nos that was available but like you said it’s very hard to come by.

popeye1978

Greasemonkey
Jul 4, 2014
Look up Danny Flowers or dan_thacuttyman (that is the correct spelling of the username) on instagram -- he restores/customizes G-body Cutlass Supreme tailights and reverse lights.

Reactions: 3 users

john87442

Master Mechanic
Supporting Member
Mar 9, 2021
Geneva ohio
Look up Danny Flowers or dan_thacuttyman (that is the correct spelling of the username) on instagram -- he restores/customizes G-body Cutlass Supreme tailights and reverse lights.
I looked this guy up and he has great looking stuff, prices are not cheap but it looks great

69hurstolds

Geezer
Supporting Member
Jan 2, 2006
Wow. I can't see much because I don't have instagram or facebook, but his sh*t looks pretty nice. Lotta work he's putting into them. Work's gonna cost.

Reactions: 1 user

oldsofb

Royal Smart Person
Supporting Member
Dec 7, 2007
Maryland
I just saw! Daddy like!!

In one of his videos he took a trim tool to a tail housing and broke it into pieces to get just the back half. It looks like he either 3D prints his own lenses (clear, red, amber, blue) or has them made for him. Very cool.

He's got a set of 84-88 Tails (no chrome housing) and matching year Reverse Housings for $875 shipped.

Hutch

Reactions: 1 users

john87442

Master Mechanic
Supporting Member
Mar 9, 2021
Geneva ohio
Yeah good work definitely costs but these aren’t getting any cheaper either, I have seen terrible ones going for a lot. Buy once cry once…. But ya got ‘em.

• Agree
Reactions: 2 users

88hurstolds

Royal Smart Person
Jun 24, 2008
Wow. I can't see much because I don't have instagram or facebook, but his sh*t looks pretty nice. Lotta work he's putting into them. Work's gonna cost.
Buyer beware... I've seen people say they're just candy cleared over and have tons of crazing in the plastic. Looks can be decieving, especially when you can just buy a $12 rattle can of Apple Candy Krylon and just do what he does.

Reactions: 1 users

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor