88 Cutlass supreme rear end?

Status
Not open for further replies.

88cutty

n00b
Sep 30, 2008
yeah i know there have probably already been posts with this question but anyways......i am looking to buy a 88 cutlass supreme classic and it doesnt have any of the factory tags in the doors or glove box do to being repainted and i was wondering what size rear end would be in it..... 7.5/7.625???????? lookin to throw in a posi unit and some gears thanks guys

87's vs 88's

Hey Guys......... long time , no see . anyway does anyone know right off apx how many 88 cutlass supremes were built as opposed to 87's ? Just curious cause i see 87's everywhere here in the tri states , but only a scattered few 88's . example , there are 22- 87 rwds in my home town and only 1 88.... more rare ? 8)

Re: 87's vs 88's

eddieb1969 said:
Hey Guys......... long time , no see . anyway does anyone know right off apx how many 88 cutlass supremes were built as opposed to 87's ? Just curious cause i see 87's everywhere here in the tri states , but only a scattered few 88's . example , there are 22- 87 rwds in my home town and only 1 88.... more rare ? 8)

The reason is a short production year. Sept 87 to Dec 87 only for that 1988 model so thats only 4 months of building 1988 g-body cutlass.
The 1987 model year was from Sept 1986 to August 1987 (something like that.)
In my eyes, the 1987 and 1988 are identical in all ways except the year. The 1988 was were they used up leftover stock.

The 1987 442 will most likely be the most collectible for 1987 and 1988 models IMO.

The 1988 won't be any more collectible than the 87 as they are the same all around, NO 442 for 1988 also.

Allthough there were some interesting special editions and most were dealer installed or an outside company installed specials.

The '88 Cutlass GT
More of a localized zone package, than a nationally available option. Looks to be an appearance package, rather than performance. Produced by Top and Trends in NC. Had H/O hood scoop, rear wing, special paint, console, with buckets and a special plaque on the console, also special honeycomb stlye rims. Only @280 produced. Featured in JWO Sept. 1997.

The 1988 Hurst/Aero kit
Produced by Action Products in AZ. Since Olds didn't want to pay to have the Hurst name on the car for the 20th anniversary of the H/O, Doc. Watson and Joe Hrudka, (then head of Mr. Gasket) put together this special kit. The kit included a ground effects package with a special rear trunk lip/wing and decal striping. It was available as a dealer option for around $500. This kit will fit on any '81-'88 RWD Cutlass and was also available as a separate kit. If installed on an '88 it was a 20th anniversary H/O, if installed on any previous model it was a H/O Aero commemorative. No known production numbers exist. I personally have seen, or heard of about 24 kits in the past two years. There is definately under 500 of these made, most likely in the 200 range.

The LV2 Sport Coupe
250 Produced by Oldsmobile to use up some of the remaining H/O and 442 inventory. H/O spoiler that was ~not~ color keyed with the rest of the car. It was left black. It had the H.O. 307 that produced 180 HP. 200-4R trans w/3.08 rear gears and limited slip. Other items include handling and appearance packages, heavy duty cooling system, Olds Chrome rims(14") with 205/70 tires, and the rallye pac. Looks to be based on the salon trim level.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor