88 monte carlo SS, what size rear?

Status
Not open for further replies.

84hurstdarrin

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Nov 14, 2008
In a stock 88 Monte Carlo SS, what size rear did they come with and how much HP from a 350 motor can they handle, where they 10 bolt rears?

cdg1984

G-Body Guru
Oct 18, 2009
Evansville IN
its a 7 5/8 10 bolt. Should handle a stock 350 no problem. I dont know from expierence, but im under the impression they will handle up to around 400 hp.

85GPLef41

Royal Smart Person
Nov 14, 2008
Colorado
cdg1984 said:
its a 7 5/8 10 bolt. Should handle a stock 350 no problem. I dont know from expierence, but im under the impression they will handle up to around 400 hp.

X2 BUT i would properly build it before throwing 400hp at it. I have blown at least 3 7.5 ten bolts in stock applications... :roll: I have a 7 5/8 out of a 87 SS and plan on upgrading it 28 spline axles, 02 Camaro SS Zexel Torsen Posi unit, Aluminum girdle, welded tube axles, Strange rebuild kit courtesy of "BeerMonkey", etc etc....I wish i could find a 8.5 locally but i haven't been as lucky so i am working with i have. :D

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor