9- inch

Status
Not open for further replies.

Micknol

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Apr 23, 2014
Will a new 9-inch ford 35 spline and a spool be slower in the 1/4 then a stock 10 bolt same gear

lilbowtie

Comic Book Super Hero
Jan 7, 2006
Canton Mi
That's a loaded question. If you have 700 hp, the stock 10 bolt(7.5) will be slower cause it will never make it. With 3-350 hp the 10 bolt will have a slight advantage (lighter-less hp to turn)

smokes468

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Mar 25, 2014
Micknol said:
Will a new 9-inch ford 35 spline and a spool be slower in the 1/4 then a stock 10 bolt same gear

All you really need is 31 spline axles, they will handle ALOT. I have a full spool 31 spline 9" under my 78 cutty, As far as i'm concerned, any little bit of the extra weight i'm pulling down the 1/4 mile is well worth the piece of mind. Best loss of any little ET & MPH you'll ever spend. Your only other option would be an 8.5" out of a GN/Hurst/442 Car.

GhettoRacingKid

G-Body Guru
Jul 15, 2010
Anyone every see how much of an et loss it really is?

Micknol

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Apr 23, 2014
I have a 82 cutlass with a 406 SBC runs mid 11s had a 10 bolt with moser axles and c clip elemenators I sheered the cross pin and broke the gear housing so I ordered a 9 inch I thought it might slow me down

83partshauler

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Jul 12, 2014
St. Petersburg Florida
It'll take more power to turn the 9" than your 10bolt for sure. The pinion is located lower and further back on the ring gear on a 9" so there's more surface area connecting the two. One of the benefits that make them stronger. However because of which it'll take more power to turn it. I have a customer's 98' Trans Am in my shop that we did allot of suspension upgrades to last year and one of them was installing a Moser Fab9 9" rear. Cost him a little over 20hp at the rear wheels just from swapping over. Mind you he didn't lose that power at the motor - it was absorbed thru the drivetrain. Bigger, heavier, stronger rear end.

jociha

Master Mechanic
Oct 16, 2012
If your doing a custom swap go with a GM 12 bolt, it is as strong as you want to make it and it takes a little less power to turn it than a 9 inch.

Bigdaddy198

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Jul 22, 2014
I have a 12 bolt in my 80 cutlass, has the upper and lower control arms, bags in both coils, anti roll set up and competition engineering 3way drag shocks its a great set up alot easier to turn than a 9" and I am putting 720HP to it got my full body Cutlass running 10.70's off my trailer no spray all throttle

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    956.9 KB · Views: 565
Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor