a 396 with a split block!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

87MonteSS

Master Mechanic
Jan 3, 2006
Winnipeg, Canada
85 Cutlass Brougham said:
I try to give the pros an cons of specific choices where necessary so as to give enough room for thought.

This is what I was referring to in comparison to what you actually wrote on the topic a few posts back. You did a great job of slamming the big blocks and didn't offer any pros for them really.

Sep 1, 2006
Tampa Bay Area
There were no pros to trying to fix a cracked 396 block instead of replacing it with something else! Fixing that crack plus the engine build would easily cost more than just starting over with another core. My whole point was it is cheaper to replace it with something else, preferably a larger big block like a 454 from a truck if you wish a big block, but a small block would be cheaper overall to get to the same power level as a stock 396 ( rated at:325, 350, 360, 375 or 425hp-late 69+402 engines ( marketed as the 396) may differ after 71 due to emissions and the 1972 switch to SAE net power ratings). Car Craft came to the same conclusion when they built identical engines, one a small block, one a big block and the small block made more power. They were both around 400 ci IIRC, so my comparison was valid. The larger port sizes afforded by the big block are not usable with an engine that small. It's kinda the same thing as the Ford 351 Cleveland with the 4 bbl heads. It had ports so huge they were useless on the street because they lacked sufficient low rpm velocity to be used on the street. The 2bbl heads were usable on the street, but their open chambers were detonation prone at anything over 8.5:1 compression. The only good version was in Australia with the 4bbl chambers and the 2 bbl ports. It was used on the Falcon GT/HO Phase 1, 2 and 3, which were absolutely awesome cars from the factory. There is my technical point. If you are going to incur the weight penalty of the big block, and you already need a new block, build the biggest one you can afford (427 or larger) or else just use a small block. It's just like building a 305 when you can get a good 350 core for $100. Sure you can be ironic with the 305, but no one will know the difference just by looking at it unless they really know their SBC's, so what's the point? The 350 will make more power everywhere as the only difference between the two is the bore size. A Chevy 302 or 327 would be a different story because they have different technical merits than the 350.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor