A-833/NP440/MY6 transmission on a BOP bellhousing?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Oct 14, 2008
Melville,Saskatchewan
This is what I like real world experience. Any idea what they actually take for input torque? According to the this site they take 260 to 270 ft/lbs of torque which seems ridiculously low. It does support both cases are available. Good to know about the two patterns available. Curious how often these were used. Most trucks got the granny low non OD 4 speed.
https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&sou...FjABegQICxAE&usg=AOvVaw0HAAY8aYQCJD2gOMuNpCTR

DRIVEN

Geezer
Apr 25, 2009
*CENSORED*
Not sure what they were rated at but they'll take plenty. My dyno estimates were north of 440lbs out of my 400. I built it specifically for towing torque. Remember, this was the same transmission they put behind 426 Hemis. Granted, not the overdrive version, but the same architecture.
My understanding is that they were used in a lot of fleet applications by GM. Believe it or not they ended up in a lot of vans.

DRIVEN

Geezer
Apr 25, 2009
*CENSORED*
I forgot to add in my first post that the bellhousings used with them were for 11" clutch and often were drilled for both transmission patterns.

RegalBegal

G-Body Guru
Jul 10, 2009
Goldsboro, NC
Maybe you'll find this helpful.........maybe not. My coffee hasn't kicked in yet Dude.:eek:

http://nastyz28.com/threads/np440-my6-swap-info.312786/

img_20170217_214838-jpg.39645

Reactions: 1 users

DRIVEN

Geezer
Apr 25, 2009
*CENSORED*
Lots of great info in that thread, pics too. Looks like I misspoke in my first post when I said the driver's side was standard and passenger side was different. I said it backwards, as illustrated in RegalBegal's photo.

Bonnewagon

Rocket Powered Basset Hound
Supporting Member
Sep 18, 2009
Queens, NY
Begal's link is what got me started on this in the first place. See the mention spooge031 posted about using a BOP bell housing? (see pic) That is what has held me back. I went out to the garage and looked at mine and it "looks" like I have enough meat to just drill new mounting holes for the Mopar type pattern. DRIVEN, perhaps you are the one I recall mentioning this trans on this site before, I could not remember who it was. You say there are Muncie/Saginaw pattern versions out there? That would be perfect! I have never seen one and the one I am looking at is the Mopar version pattern in Begal's pic. Were there any GM versions that were NOT OD? I am emailing back and forth with a guy who can't seem to determine what he has. The dual pattern bell housing is also a pretty rare/expensive piece to find and would need an adapter anyway.
2017-07-09 19.03.10.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user

Bonnewagon

Supporting Member
Sep 18, 2009
Queens, NY
And this guy really went the distance by fabricating brackets to make mounting easy. This from a Chevy light truck site.
attachment.php
attachment.php
attachment.php
attachment.php

DRIVEN

Geezer
Apr 25, 2009
*CENSORED*
I'm sure it was me. Not sure anyone else runs them around here. To my knowledge all the GM versions are overdrive. I can 100% verify that there is an aluminum version with the GM pattern. I have one in my '35 right now. I have a cast iron with the odd pattern in my El Camino and it has an aluminum extension housing. There is an aluminum case odd pattern on Ebay right now. The only combination I'm not sure exists is a cast iron case with GM pattern. Btw, my 4x4 donor was an odd pattern cast case with cast extension housing.
If you can come up with one that has the GM pattern and turn down the outer diameter of the bearing retainer to Saginaw/Muncie size, it's a direct swap.
If the BOP bellhousing you have has enough meat to drill and tap, that's the next easiest thing.
As far as I know that dual pattern bellhousing isn't all that rare. I have 2 of them. Can't seem to locate a casting number on it.
20190217_125311.jpg

Bonnewagon

Supporting Member
Sep 18, 2009
Queens, NY
DRIVEN, yes, that guy is the one I am conversing with. He bought a '67 Camaro that had the OD transmission and was told it was "not correct" for the car and instead found a Muncie for it. Thus the trans is up for sale. He kept the Hurst shifter for the Muncie but is including the shifter rods. He says he drove it for several months and it worked great but can't reassure me that it is overdrive. Why, I don't know. Another problem with the Chevy bell housing is that the starter cut-out is on the wrong side for a Pontiac.

DRIVEN

Geezer
Apr 25, 2009
*CENSORED*
Haha, he's probably going to miss it when it's gone.

• Agree
Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor