A/C box install

Bailey

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Sep 3, 2024
Ok guys here's the deal. I'm installing a factory ac box into my 80 camino. It is complete except for one bit. At the end of the wire harness under the hood it's been cut off. There's a light green wire, a dark green wire and a thicker red wire. I believe the two green wires had a connector that would have connected to the factory r4 compressor. Question is where would the red wire connected. Also I'm putting in a sanden 508 1 wire compressor. How do I connect that? There also isn't a connector for the cycle switch on the accumulator. Any help would be appreciated.

Ok guys here's the deal. I'm installing a factory ac box into my 80 camino. It is complete except for one bit. At the end of the wire harness under the hood it's been cut off. There's a light green wire, a dark green wire and a thicker red wire. I believe the two green wires had a connector that would have connected to the factory r4 compressor. Question is where would the red wire connected. Also I'm putting in a sanden 508 1 wire compressor. How do I connect that? There also isn't a connector for the cycle switch on the accumulator. Any help would be appreciated.
That red wire (12 GA circuit 2) is the main power for the blower relay. On the engine harness it's spliced into the one main red wire the has a fusible link at the starter & goes to the alternator & C100 firewall connector. The light green (18 GA circuit 66) feeds off the pressure cycling switch & goes into the dash control panel. Engine side it goes to the fast idle solenoid on the left front of the carb. The dark green (18 GA circuit 59) comes off the pressure cycling switch. On the engine side it'll go right to the compressor. As for the missing I'd suggest to get a '80 service manual to ensure everything need can be gathered up as not all years are the same. There should be a few members chiming in that have used Sanden compressors.

That red wire (12 GA circuit 2) is the main power for the blower relay. On the engine harness it's spliced into the one main red wire the has a fusible link at the starter & goes to the alternator & C100 firewall connector. The light green (18 GA circuit 66) feeds off the pressure cycling switch & goes into the dash control panel. Engine side it goes to the fast idle solenoid on the left front of the carb. The dark green (18 GA circuit 59) comes off the pressure cycling switch. On the engine side it'll go right to the compressor. As for the missing I'd suggest to get a '80 service manual to ensure everything need can be gathered up as not all years are the same. There should be a few members chiming in that have used Sanden compressors.
Also to add to this catastrophe, I have taken out the v6 and am putting in a 355. I don't have a fast idle solenoid. The pressure cycling switch is 2 wire. And I'll post pics of the main and ac wiring harness. Most of it I know where it goes some of it I don't. The first 4 are of my main wiring harness and the last is the ac wiring harness

Attachments

• 20240906_172315.jpg
    20240906_172315.jpg
    2.3 MB · Views: 18
  • 20240906_172305.jpg
    20240906_172305.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 14
  • 20240906_172234.jpg
    20240906_172234.jpg
    2.1 MB · Views: 12
  • 20240906_172211.jpg
    20240906_172211.jpg
    2.1 MB · Views: 17
  • 20240906_172432.jpg
    20240906_172432.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 15
Just wanting it to work. I don't know what I need to have and what can be deleted. Just ordered a Haynes and a Chilton manual.

Reactions: Sweet_Johnny
I'm a bit confused 3 of the first 4 pics show a non A/C box installed in the firewall and the last pic is of an A/C box sitting on a milk crate.

What exactly are you trying to do?

I'm a bit confused 3 of the first 4 pics show a non A/C box installed in the firewall and the last pic is of an A/C box sitting on a milk crate.

What exactly are you trying to do?
I beleive OP is attempting to replace the factory installed heater only in his el camino with an A/C box pulled from another gbody car... i wonder if it would have been less hasle going with vintage air instead, if available that is.

I have taken out the v6 and am putting in a 355. I don't have a fast idle solenoid.
I also have a 355 SBC in my Regal and I made a mount for a solenoid to fit my throttle bracket for the Holley carb and of coarse I polished it too.

1725668589875.jpeg

I beleive OP is attempting to replace the factory installed heater only in his el camino with an A/C box pulled from another gbody car... i wonder if it would have been less hasle going with vintage air instead, if available that is.
I'm rebuilding it this weekend with new seal and cores to replace the non ac box

Reactions: Sweet_Johnny

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor