A/c Compressor Help

Status
Not open for further replies.

J-Money

n00b
Aug 20, 2007
I'm just starting to learn a lot about cars, but I have a little problem. When the original 301 in my Bonneville Brougham was replaced with the current 350 chevy, they had to take off the compressor, and didn't put it back on to the new engine. I have all of the parts needed, except i have no idea how to put it on. Can someone please help?

Uncletruck

Master Mechanic
Apr 22, 2007
Erie, PA
I'm 90-something percent sure of this, that where the compressor itself will likely work, the compressor mounting bracket for the 301 Pontiac and SBC are completely different and will not swap between the engines. You'll need to find a SBC A/C mounting bracket.

-UT-

buba198

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Jan 30, 2007
i have a set of ac brackets for a sbc if u are intrested

Sep 1, 2006
Tampa Bay Area
I do not know which hoses the 301 uses, but if you go to a self-serve junkyard, 267 and 305 powered G , F and B bodies will have the complete bracket set you will need. You will need the the 4 brackets that bolt to the engine and the two brackets that bolt to the compressor to attach it to the block brackets. You will also need all of the bolts and the spacer that goes between the back bracket that comes off the exhaust manifold and the compressor. Some of the bolts are unique to the Compressor bracketry and finding them without finding a donor vehicle will be difficult.All this assumes you have the radial R-4 compressor and not the older long axial compressor which was used on early G bodies.The Hose set you will need will depend on which hose setup the 301 came from. If the large hose screws into the accumulator and the small one goes in to the condensor on the passenger's side, you need one hose, there is another for the big hose to screw into a short tube that then goes into the back of the accumulator and the condenser hose is on the passenger's side, etc. My setup uses the accumulator that has the fitting on it for the large hose and the small hose on the passenger's side. I used the connecting tube from the Condenser to the evaporator from a 1986 TPI Camaro and the brackets, hose and condenser from a 1984 Z-28 with the G code HO 305 on mine because they allow for the fittment of the dual snorkel air cleaner from that car. I also had most of that stuff sitting around already and that made my decision easier. BTW, I started with a 1985 Cutlass with the Buick 3.8 (231) V6.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor