CUTLASS Does anyone have a wiring diagram for the air conditioning compressor wide open throttle cut off switch used on the 83-84 Hurst Olds and the 85-87 442

69hurstolds

Geezer
Supporting Member
Jan 2, 2006
Another quick question. What gauge wiring is used for the a/c compressor clutch coil? Is it 16 or 18?

This may help when looking at the wiring schematics. The green and black wires to the clutch show .8 on the diagram, which is metric sizing. Converts to 18 gage. The diode wiring is .5, or 20 gage white wire.
1690249993192.png

• Useful
Reactions: 1 users

69hurstolds

Geezer
Supporting Member
Jan 2, 2006
Speaking of the diode, anyone know what size diode to replace that booger with? 1N4007 is a general purpose diode that may work, but I don't have any parts information specifically on the diode itself. It used to come "prepacked" with the pigtail. Ok, you wire biters out there. Any ideas?

gnvair

Royal Smart Person
Sep 1, 2018
Southern New Jersey near Philly
Speaking of the diode, anyone know what size diode to replace that booger with? 1N4007 is a general purpose diode that may work, but I don't have any parts information specifically on the diode itself. It used to come "prepacked" with the pigtail. Ok, you wire biters out there. Any ideas?
Would you happen to have the GM part number for the plastic connector to fit the 22513552 switch? The one for the common GM wiper motor isn't wide enough.

Attachments

• 20230727_210640.jpg
    20230727_210640.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 50

rfpowerdude

G-Body Guru
Jul 15, 2013
Palm Bay, Fla
A 1N4007 is a great choice that handles 1A of current, but also handles 1000V of reverse voltage. There are 100s of thousands in stock at Digikey.

• Useful
Reactions: 1 user

69hurstolds

Geezer
Supporting Member
Jan 2, 2006
A 1N4007 is a great choice that handles 1A of current, but also handles 1000V of reverse voltage. There are 100s of thousands in stock at Digikey.
That's good to know. And good that I'd only need one. It's supposed to be used as a blocking diode, so it can fizzle off the electrical charge without sending it back to the car's electrical tender bits whenever the clutch disengages. So I'm going to guess that the silver ring goes towards the "green" wire to use it as a blocking diode? Just trying to make sure the check valve is going to be set up as a check valve here. I stress again, I'm no wire biter, but I can learn junk when I need to.

69hurstolds

Geezer
Supporting Member
Jan 2, 2006
Would you happen to have the GM part number for the plastic connector to fit the 22513552 switch? The one for the common GM wiper motor isn't wide enough.
Sorry, no. Those things come in harnesses, and as to which harness it would come in is anyone's guess. 12017715 is the A/C control wire harness it would likely be bundled with. I am not aware of any that came separately.

If you look for blade terminal 2 position housings, you MIGHT find something. Or someone else can chime in and direct us on how to search and find those things.

rfpowerdude

G-Body Guru
Jul 15, 2013
Palm Bay, Fla
That's good to know. And good that I'd only need one. It's supposed to be used as a blocking diode, so it can fizzle off the electrical charge without sending it back to the car's electrical tender bits whenever the clutch disengages. So I'm going to guess that the silver ring goes towards the "green" wire to use it as a blocking diode? Just trying to make sure the check valve is going to be set up as a check valve here. I stress again, I'm no wire biter, but I can learn junk when I need to.
Yes, it's used an anti-kickback diode. When the clutch coil current is interrupted, the magnetic field in the coil collapses and induces a high voltage in reverse polarity. The diode effectively shorts this out and disallows the voltage to go over about 1V. Basically, it absorbs the energy in the magnetic field of the clutch coil instead of back into the circuit controlling the clutch. And the band (cathode) goes to positive and no band (anode) towards negative/ground.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor