A/C condenser paint or not

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yes a Spectra. I ordered it through Advance Auto online, which is now Car Quest, and I received a Spectra.
My car is an 83 H/O but I had to order one for a 85 to get a parallel condenser.

Yes a Spectra. I ordered it through Advance Auto online, which is now Car Quest, and I received a Spectra.
My car is an 83 H/O but I had to order one for a 85 to get a parallel condenser.

Thanks. I was looking for the part number if you had it.

Thanks. I was looking for the part number if you had it.
For a 1987 Cutlass Supreme VIN 9....

Per the Spectra website, you would need Spectra Condenser 7-4013. The "height" in the table should technically be "length". And what's really stupid is the Specrta website says the same condenser fits the 83 H/O, yet Advance website says it won't fit. Stupid. The same condenser was used like, all G-body with Olds V8 cars to the best of my knowledge from 78-88. And several 231 V6 cars.

TYPE6mm Piccolo
HEIGHT26-1/2 In.
WIDTH14-3/16 In.
THICKNESS5/8 In.
INLET TYPEMale O-Ring
OUTLET TYPEMale O-Ring

Advance Auto Parts sells the "Carquest Brand" crossflow under p/n 2035. Whether you get a spectra if you order one or not, I have no idea. Here's the specs on it: (note it's 7/8" thick, vs 5/8" for the Spectra and about 7/8" longer FWIW. Which if you can find this unit number, it appears it may fit better in the mounts? I dunno. The Delco replacement I used was thinner than OEM, and I had to bend the tabs in a bit.

Condenser Core Type:6mm Piccolo
Core Length:27.375 in
Core Material:Aluminum
Core Thickness:0.875 in
Core Width:15.625 in
Includes Drier:No
Inlet Fitting Type:# 6 Male O Ring
Outlet Fitting Type:# 6 Male O Ring
Universal Or Specific Fit:Specific

I was incorrect on the black side of the delco condensers. You see the aluminum side when you open the box. The side facing the cardboard is black. My mind is slipping.

Delco even went to the "new" cross flow, or "piccolo" design later on for replacement parts. But when the G-bodies were built, they all got the continuous loop condensers from the factory.

Yes, the carquest premium condenser part number is 2035, it came as a Spectra but I'll check that number when I get home tonight. Not sure about size, haven't pulled the old one yet.
Still waiting on orifice tube. Which leads me to another question. Any pro or con about using the orifice tube for above 105 ambient temperature?
I have been fighting for cold air since I converted it years ago. I live in south Louisiana so yes it's hot and humid all year round. I even use AC when I need heat just to keep moisture out of the air.

Reactions: oldsofb
69hurstolds
Which condenser is 7/8" thick and longer?
I got lost in your explanation.
The 2035. According to the chart they provided for specs. Is it correct? Only they know for sure. Obviously if you order a 2035, they may obviously send out a 7-4103 Spectra instead. So until someone actually sees one of these 2035's in real life....

I ordered the carquest 2035 and received the Spectra 4013. I installed it. I didn't like the fit. I had to bend the small tube coming up from bottom which made that connector stick out about 2 or 3 inches, so I had to reshape the tube going to the evap. Also had to reshape the metal tabs on bottom and top so it would for tight. And it's made in China 😭
It could have been an inch taller and still fit in the rubbers. I didn't measure the thickness.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor