a/c lines

Status
Not open for further replies.

TBRtat2

Greasemonkey
Aug 30, 2008
The motor in my cutlass has the long a/c pump on it, its on the right hand side, but my lines are for the pancake pump.
I would rather get hoses for my long pump, rather then get brakets for the pancake.
So i need to know, Did they ever put the long pump on a g-body, or did they all come with the pancake pump?

Or what could i get the lines from to fit my long pump.

Blake442

Geezer
Apr 24, 2007
Minneapolis
Both styles were available on G-body's. The larger compressor was used in the earlier years, and the smaller radial in the later years. My '79 Malibu had the large pump on it, but it was on the driver side.

Sep 1, 2006
Tampa Bay Area
I would go to the local self-serve salvage yard and find a application similar to yours and then go order a new hose from the parts store for that application. My A/C is a b*st*rd setup made of a mish-mash of G and F body parts, and that's how I did it. I would get a new line because the new hose will be made of a material able to handle 134a refrigerant and it's oil. which some older hoses can't handle.

TBRtat2

Greasemonkey
Aug 30, 2008
I have a "stash" of fr-12 from back when i worked as a ASE certified mechanic. So I will be running fr-12 (it runs a lot colder).

I wanted to see if anyone could tell me if the g-bodys had the big pump in the right hand side, before i went searching junk yards.

TBRtat2

Greasemonkey
Aug 30, 2008
Would you happen to remember which ones and years they would be on?

Blake442

Geezer
Apr 24, 2007
Minneapolis
Well, I'm guessing it'd have to be a '78-'80ish... I think they switched to the smaller radial compressor in '81 or '82. They were definately on all the '60's and 70's stuff, but G-body wise, I think it's limited to those first couple years.

I'd start looking on eBay for all the underhood shots you can find, to see what kind of compressors are on what years.

Good luck with your search, hope that helps.

BrownGP83

Master Mechanic
Oct 9, 2008
Chamberlain,South Dakota
I have seen that setup on a 79 Cutlass that was all original. Hope that helps.

TBRtat2

Greasemonkey
Aug 30, 2008
that helps a lot, thank you.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor