A/C to heat questions

Status
Not open for further replies.

3XBrownCutty

Royal Smart Person
Mar 20, 2008
NW PA
www.cardomain.com
Alright, I had nothing better to do yesterday and today, and didn't want to wait until the engine was out... So I swapped the A/C out and now the heater box is in, as well as the dash. (if anyone needs A/C box parts let me know)

What I'm wondering is what to do about the compressor...Can I remove it without messing with the belt tensions or other stuff? And the lines that run in front of the radiator...What are those and what should I do with them?

Yup. Just cut the belt off and remove everything.
The lines that go in front of the radiator are for the condenser. Since you'll be needing a larger radiator than the stock V6 one once your V8 is in there, just disconnect the lines for now, and when you have the radiator out later down the line, you can remove the condenser.

Did everything go smoothly with your install?

Yeah, it was pretty good. The only thing was getting the bolts out of the firewall on the a/c box. I actually cut a hole in the bottom of the box in order to get to the last one. It was a challenge to get the new box in, but its in :lol:

It looks 100% better under the hood now. No more clutter, it looks clean. It will look even better with the gold 355 under there 8)

Also one more question, there is a brown wire coming out from the control unit, I think it might have something to do with the fan speed. What do I connect that wire to?

Yeah, that's for the blower switch, just plug that in the same spot where the old one was for your original controls.

Those lower bolts are a pain around the box, and I ended up removing the inner wheelwell. Getting that sealer sh*t off them is tricky too. Did you use anything to help seal it back up, or was the original seal in good enough shape?

The origional is two wires though... one black, one brown. Also the wires that are supposed to connect (I'm guessing the brown to brown) both have the same connector. So should I connect brown with brown?

I used a little bead of silicone around the whole thing, the origional seal was in pretty good shape too.

I've been working on the control mount for under the steering column as well. I used the main mounting piece from the regal plastic, and cut it to shape so it mounts behind my current plastic piece. It looked a little mickey mouse, so I took out the chrome vent and cut the backing off of the "trim piece" if you want to call it that. I'm pretty sure it will look factory after I'm done with it... The epoxy is curing right now.

My family and I are going on vacation to Maryland/DC, but I'll have some pics after we're back.

The only plug-ins on the back of the controls should be for the fan switch, and the light bulb to illuminate the controls. They should match up to your existing wiring with no problems.

alright, I'm back...

I'll take some pics real quickly

The pics are in my album.

http://gbodyforum.com/photos/index-11902.html

I actually found the other single brown wire and connector (D'oh!!!) , so that explains the one ordeal, but there is still another connector not being used. I'm hoping it is not needed...?

Another quick question, where does the gear selection indicator (on the gauge cluster) go down through the plastic panel in the dash. Because the selector line does not return from "D" after I park it.

've been looking high and low, and can't find how to remove the lower heater box. The top comes off easily, and I've unbolted the lower from the firewall, and removed the linkage to the ac/heater flapper valve, but there's still something holding it in!

The whole box moves up and down a couple inches, but I'm not sure if there's something inside that needs to be removed? I don't want to mess anything up, just want to take it out, so I can fix my headers in, then modify as needed.

thanks in advance!

I kinda had to force mine out, didn't come easily. You do have your dash out right??

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor