A/G frame swap

clean8485

Comic Book Super Hero
Dec 18, 2005
Ontario, Canada
I know this topic has come up for discussion before. I have a 1980 Malibu, and I have an opportunity to purchase a refurbished frame from a Cutlass, and the seller believes that the Cutlass was a 1982. I've read discussions before, where people talk about differences in the front frame horns between some models. I have a copy of the '82-'88 Chevrolet G body parts catalog here, which includes '82-'83 Malibu, and '82-'88 Monte Carlo, as well as '82-'87 El Camino. Everything except the El Camino quotes the same GM part number for a complete frame assembly. So what I'm asking here is, does anyone know definitely whether or not the Cutlass frame will swap into my Malibu, and if so, how can you tell? Are there measurements that can be made on each frame to confirm if they're the same or different? Any help is greatly appreciated, thanks.

RabbitHoleSS

G-Body Guru
Dec 8, 2019
Indianapolis
If that frame has long front frame horns, and yours has short. I'm pretty sure it's simple modifications to complete the swap. If it's a clean frame, I'd say go for it. Everything else is the same on 2 door and 4 door, I think after 83 they have the extension for the trans crossmember welded in. Take a pic of your frame and compare it to his.

Reactions: 1 user

Ribbedroof

Comic Book Super Hero
Supporting Member
Jan 4, 2009
Wellston, OK
x8dlR0.jpg

JdEfTi.jpg

Top image is a 79 Malibu sedan, bottom is an 82 Cutlass sedan. These photos were taken by myself at a friend's place that was stripping them for his roundy-round buddy. Crappy flip-phone pics, but you should be able to get an idea of the difference

Reactions: 1 users

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor