A Stupid Question For Those Who Understand Calculus.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sep 1, 2006
Tampa Bay Area
jonessmc87 said:
yea i feel you,,, i just got back from 3 tests in a row, physics (which is all electromagnetism stuff), multivariable calc, and statics. they werent really that hard but all at once was a little troublesome since the x,y,z axis in statics and multivariable are flipped.
just keep your head up because its good that ur questioning urself b/c u want to learn, but worrying about it will only hurt ur performance elsewhere.

I look at it this way: I am a 34 year old pizza delivery driver now. If I drop out of school again nothing will change. If I fail, nothing will change. However if I do well, everything might change for the better. Math may not come automatically to me, but I am not unable to learn it either. It is a progression of understanding that needs to be taken in small bites with lots of practice to learn each new concept ( aka Homework). If I do the work and spend the time learning it eventually I will get it. Even if I am failing a class I won't drop it because dropping it would be pointless. I paid for it already so I might as well get my money's worth and try to pass it next time. Eventually I will learn it.

2000.malibu.ls

Royal Smart Person
May 11, 2008
Lake City, Florida
v8power said:
ha ya i am in pre calc this year too, not so bad...yet. that block dude game on them calculators is sooo addicting!

lmao I kept stealing my freinds calculator to do that in algebra last year. I didnt learn much those days...

Geesie

Master Mechanic
Feb 15, 2008
San Diego
85 Cutlass Brougham said:
jatguit said:
I can't answer your question but:

Try this site for limits, and WAIT a few seconds for it to load and go through the steps, like a powerpoint slide show. Maybe it helps you, or maybe it doesn't but try it.
I thought it was a cool site and looks like it is good for the VISUAL learner.
http://www.calculus-help.com/funstuff/tutorials/limits/limit01.html

It does help, but most of it I already understood. I bookmarked it for future reference. My main difficulty was in how to determine if a problem I was dealing with had an actual limit, or an asymptote and an infinite limit. I know my math was right on the test I just took (most of it is just easy College Algebra), but I am unsure if my conclusions were correct. I am just afraid that I called infinite that which was not infinite, and mistook a limit for an asymptote or vice versa. Maybe it's the one hour of sleep I had the night before ( I have brutal insomnia and no insurance) or that I also had a Chemistry test right after. I guess I will ask the instructor Monday for some clarification.

If the equation goes to infinity at x, it has an infinite limit. If it goes to a real number, that number is the limit.

Example: The limit of y=2x at 4 is 8. As you put in values for x getting closer and closer to 4, the y gets closer and closer to 8. If you put in for example 3.99999, you get 7.99998.

The limit of y=1/x^2 at zero is infinite. As you put in values for x getting closer and closer to zero, the y increases to infinity. If you put in .01 for x, y=10000. If you put in .001 for x, y=1000000.

Geesie

Master Mechanic
Feb 15, 2008
San Diego
In the infinite limit example I gave above, both the left and right limit are +∞.

If the equation were y=1/x, the limit at zero would be -∞ from the left and +∞ from the right, since for x=-.01, y would be -100 while x=.01, y=100.

Sep 1, 2006
Tampa Bay Area
Thanks, that clears it up a little bit.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor