A Stupid Question For Those Who Understand Calculus.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sep 1, 2006
Tampa Bay Area
What is the difference in definition between a Limit and an Asymptote? Having just taken my first Calc test today, I found myself trying to figure out a mathematical differentiation between the two because they seem so damn similar. Sorry if this is a dumb question with an obvious answer, but I just can't seem to figure it out. Is it that one is a whole line of answers that don't fit, and the other is a single point represented by a hole in the graph?

megaladon6

Comic Book Super Hero
May 29, 2006
Danbury, CT
ok it's been about 15yrs since i took calc but i believe an asymptote is when the result of an exponential equation comes increasingly close to, but will never reach a certain value. EX. it's like trying to reach the speed of light--you can get very close, but physics prevents actually hitting it.
i believe a limit is when the equation's result hits a specific value and stops.

srercrcr

G-Body Guru
Jun 19, 2006
San Antonio, Texas
Yes, when something is asymptotic it gets closer and closer but can never reach it...like dividing numbers in half repeatedly but never reaching zero.

2000.malibu.ls

Royal Smart Person
May 11, 2008
Lake City, Florida
:shock: thats a "stupid" question... im doomed... I dont wanna know what a "hard" question is! im only in pre-calc this year, i guess there is still time to get out huh? :lol:

megaladon6

Comic Book Super Hero
May 29, 2006
Danbury, CT
just wait for differential equations :blam:

v8power

G-Body Guru
Aug 24, 2007
green bay WI
ha ya i am in pre calc this year too, not so bad...yet. that block dude game on them calculators is sooo addicting!

Sep 1, 2006
Tampa Bay Area
Yeah, I did Pre Calc and Trig as an accelerated course over the spring semester. Not fun, but I managed to pull a B out of it despite failing the first two tests. After that, I got serious, abandoned the Cutlass ( again...) and decided to get a good grade. Wait until you get into polar coordinates and the unit circle definition of an angle! On the other hand, Matrices are pretty easy. It's all the special equations you have to memorize in trig that sucks. Oh, and don't think you won't need to remember trig either, Calculus is all about the trig.

jatguit

Greasemonkey
Mar 27, 2007
I can't answer your question but:

Try this site for limits, and WAIT a few seconds for it to load and go through the steps, like a powerpoint slide show. Maybe it helps you, or maybe it doesn't but try it.
I thought it was a cool site and looks like it is good for the VISUAL learner.
http://www.calculus-help.com/funstuff/tutorials/limits/limit01.html

Sep 1, 2006
Tampa Bay Area
jatguit said:
I can't answer your question but:

Try this site for limits, and WAIT a few seconds for it to load and go through the steps, like a powerpoint slide show. Maybe it helps you, or maybe it doesn't but try it.
I thought it was a cool site and looks like it is good for the VISUAL learner.
http://www.calculus-help.com/funstuff/tutorials/limits/limit01.html

It does help, but most of it I already understood. I bookmarked it for future reference. My main difficulty was in how to determine if a problem I was dealing with had an actual limit, or an asymptote and an infinite limit. I know my math was right on the test I just took (most of it is just easy College Algebra), but I am unsure if my conclusions were correct. I am just afraid that I called infinite that which was not infinite, and mistook a limit for an asymptote or vice versa. Maybe it's the one hour of sleep I had the night before ( I have brutal insomnia and no insurance) or that I also had a Chemistry test right after. I guess I will ask the instructor Monday for some clarification.

jonessmc87

Apprentice
Oct 25, 2007
Old Saybrook, CT
yea i feel you,,, i just got back from 3 tests in a row, physics (which is all electromagnetism stuff), multivariable calc, and statics. they werent really that hard but all at once was a little troublesome since the x,y,z axis in statics and multivariable are flipped.
just keep your head up because its good that ur questioning urself b/c u want to learn, but worrying about it will only hurt ur performance elsewhere.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor