Supporting Member
Jan 4, 2009
Wellston, OK
Group 75, it's on the label

84 W40

G-Body Guru
Dec 9, 2009
Group 75, it's on the label
Good eyes, the yellow part of the label throws me off. I do remember the label being different in the 80's and top cover.

69hurstolds

Geezer
Supporting Member
Jan 2, 2006
They may have used that battery before 2002 as well. I'm guessing they may have used it in 1998 as well when they went to the LS1. But the battery usage isn't as important as it's size, power capacity, and fitment. They're still Lead-Acid, and just as an aside, they were prone to leak acid from the terminals. Like, quite a bit of acid. I didn't know that was a thing but several F-body owners complained of this issue after it ruined paint in the battery tray area of their cars.

fleming442

Captain Tenneal
Dec 26, 2013
They may have used that battery before 2002 as well. I'm guessing they may have used it in 1998 as well when they went to the LS1. But the battery usage isn't as important as it's size, power capacity, and fitment. They're still Lead-Acid, and just as an aside, they were prone to leak acid from the terminals. Like, quite a bit of acid. I didn't know that was a thing but several F-body owners complained of this issue after it ruined paint in the battery tray area of their cars.
Not to mention said terminals breaking out of the case as well......

84 W40

G-Body Guru
Dec 9, 2009
I do remember them leaking and the terminals coming out. Is it worth keeping and having it reserected, add a different label for future use.

ck80

Supporting Member
Feb 18, 2014
I do remember them leaking and the terminals coming out. Is it worth keeping and having it reserected, add a different label for future use.
I could picture a last gen pontiac fitebird/trans am guy wanting it as it sits down the road.

I remember reading about some companies that cut open old cases and insert modern batteries in for an original appearing unit for car shows, etc.

Those are the last firebird to be made, ever at this point. Matching numbers guys will likely want them like gn guys do today

69hurstolds

Geezer
Supporting Member
Jan 2, 2006
If they knew anything about ACDelco batteries during that time frame, no F-body guy would want it. It wasn't just F-body batteries that leaked/broke.

If you want that, just get a topper for an interstate battery or something. Way ahead. That's what I'm going to do for the 85. I have the topper shown below and if the proper decals aren't made by the time I need them, I'll make my own. But it beats trying to revive my 35 year old battery.

My ORIGINAL 85 442 battery.
Delco Freedom Batt 85 Olds 442 Original.JPG

85 Olds 442 Battery 2.JPG

New topper- will need decals replaced, but I think it is very do-able.

Black Delco Freedom Topper.JPG

Reactions: 3 users

84 W40

G-Body Guru
Dec 9, 2009
If they knew anything about ACDelco batteries during that time frame, no F-body guy would want it. It wasn't just F-body batteries that leaked/broke.

If you want that, just get a topper for an interstate battery or something. Way ahead. That's what I'm going to do for the 85. I have the topper shown below and if the proper decals aren't made by the time I need them, I'll make my own. But it beats trying to revive my 35 year old battery.

My ORIGINAL 85 442 battery.
View attachment 129071
View attachment 129069

New topper- will need decals replaced, but I think it is very do-able.

View attachment 129072
Nice I like it. I would like to make a clone of 1984 battery.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor