AC delete?

Status
Not open for further replies.

bluebronco69

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Mar 10, 2008
ac doesnt work very well anymore, and that would be spensive to get recharged, so how easy is it to delete the pump fittings, etc, i know there woudl be HP gains, so that is good
let me know
thanks

Or, you could just fix it yourself. R134a costs $6 a can, and you need 2 cans. You also need the right oil at about $5-10 a can, and will want to pull the compressor off and drain the oil. Extra bonus points for taking a shop vac to the evaporator and condenser too. Plus, you will need to swap out the O rings, dryer, pressure switch, and put the retrofit fittings on it. If you want to get fancy, get a new set of hoses. The hose to fill it is under $10. All together, it would only cost you $100-150. That's what I am doing. It is not as big a savings of weight as you think, maybe 25-30 lbs. That is really only worth .025-.03 in the 1/4 mile. The compressor does not draw any power when it is off either.

i dont mind, 85 cutlass's response im just not looking to spend 100-150 dollars right now, maybe later on down the raid, thats why i was thinking remove it for now and then do the conversion kit later on

thanks

If you plan on putting it back on eventually, you should just leave it alone. Once the system is cracked open the accumulator is ruined, unless it has a bad leak already then it is already bad.

Unless you want to end up spending more money in the long run, just leave it on. You most likely wont see any noticeable hp gains, or even gas mileage.

Leave the system on if your going to fix it later taking it off you won't feel any more power maybe 5hp gain and about 100 pounds lighter.

andrewmp6 said:
Leave the system on if your going to fix it later taking it off you won't feel any more power maybe 5hp gain and about 100 pounds lighter.

I don't see how you can figure on 100 lbs. The accumulator maybe weighs 2-5 lbs, the condenser another 5 and the evaporator 5-10. The compressor weighs 20 lbs ( I just checked it on my bathroom scale). Even if you removed all of the ducting and the suitcase, you still probably would not top 60 lbs. And besides, unless you only plan to race it, running without a defroster is a recipe for disaster. So, you would probably want to keep the ducting, and maybe swap to a non-A/C suitcase as it is much smaller.

QUESTION, I removed all ac housing and made my own panel from aluminum and painted it, my question is without the airbox in place, when you close the hood how would u prevent water from getting in the area especially since msd, relays, pumps, etc. are bolted to the panel, i thought of cutting just the top edge and mounting in on somehow of the old heater box so i can retain the hood seal lip and put the seal back, sound nuts? or does someone know something i dont, open for advice and help. 1st g body project. lol

thanks.
i own a repair shop i can fabricate if need be.

You could also just make a piece of aluminum that would support it. The piece you refer to has a vent in it to draw outside air from the base of the windshield, so it would not keep water out.

BACKSLAP said:
QUESTION, I removed all ac housing and made my own panel from aluminum and painted it, my question is without the airbox in place, when you close the hood how would u prevent water from getting in the area especially since msd, relays, pumps, etc. are bolted to the panel, i thought of cutting just the top edge and mounting in on somehow of the old heater box so i can retain the hood seal lip and put the seal back, sound nuts? or does someone know something i dont, open for advice and help. 1st g body project. lol

thanks.
i own a repair shop i can fabricate if need be.

Take a look at this, http://www.gbodyparts.com/product_i...d=673&osCsid=813b190ad66270af3a774b612bb412b6

I have it on my car, it fits great.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor