Status
Not open for further replies.

Bonnewagon

Lost in the Labyrinth
Supporting Member
Sep 18, 2009
Queens, NY
Re: AC disaster

It works! I bought a digital Postal scale on Fleabay, for weighing up to 50lbs, 1/10 oz accurate, and it was only $18.50 w/shipping. I watched as it filled- 1.5 lbs exactly- my pressures are perfect- my cooling is 30º below ambient. What a concept, only put in the right amount! YAY! :blam:
A-PT50-00.jpg

Bonnewagon

Lost in the Labyrinth
Supporting Member
Sep 18, 2009
Queens, NY

tc1959

Comic Book Super Hero
Dec 23, 2009
Surprise AZ.

Bonnewagon said:
TC1959 here's the Fleabay link. They start out at $.01 and usually end up more than the "buy-it-now" price. He has that option as well, in his other listings. I kept getting beat so I grabbed it while it was on sale for a few bucks off. http://www.ebay.com/itm/Accuteck-50...s=63&clkid=9026224598275717788&_qi=RTM1066541
Got it $18.50 with Free shipping, Thanks for the Tip. I need it Because I have to replace the heater core in the wife's 2004 Cavalier. Gotta take all that dash and HVAC out to do it. ( same as the Sunbird) It will be nice to have the scale to charge my El Camino and the Caviler out of the Thirty pound cans. Of any refrigerant.
Nothing like having the right tools to do the job. :)
Did you solve your " Pass Key - Cluster problem ?

Bonnewagon

Lost in the Labyrinth
Supporting Member
Sep 18, 2009
Queens, NY

Yes, the connector from the key to the IP cluster was disconnected. I'm learning that the IP on these cars has it's own computer and runs a lot of things.

tc1959

Comic Book Super Hero
Dec 23, 2009
Surprise AZ.

Bonewagon said:
Yes, the connector from the key to the IP cluster was disconnected. I'm learning that the IP on these cars has it's own computer and runs a lot of things.

Yea the pass lock controls the fuel pump relay its all in the cluster.If you screw with it the car won't start.
I have had problems with the Cavalier when It gets cold.
The connection at the connector on the lock cylinder would go open.
The pass lock would see high resistance and the damn thing would not start , until it sat with the key on for thirty minutes.
The wife was not happy about being late to work a few times.
I wound up cutting out the connector and soldering the connection, Haven't had any more troubles with it.
Pass Lock II, really is a over complacted hunk of Crap, :lol:

Bonnewagon

Lost in the Labyrinth
Supporting Member
Sep 18, 2009
Queens, NY
So I got a great chance to test my new AC system with this heat wave. I was coming home and the radio said it was 95º where I was. I turned the AC on with a thermometer stuck in the outlet. Stuck in traffic with no airflow I was getting 50º to 55º, not bad. But when I got moving and had some airflow over the condenser, it dropped to 42º!!! That's 50º below ambient. Not too shabby! I must say, using the digital scale and only putting in the correct amount of R-134a is the only way I will play with AC from now on. And for less than $20 it's a tool anyone can afford.

tc1959

Comic Book Super Hero
Dec 23, 2009
Surprise AZ.
Bonewagon said:
So I got a great chance to test my new AC system with this heat wave. I was coming home and the radio said it was 95º where I was. I turned the AC on with a thermometer stuck in the outlet. Stuck in traffic with no airflow I was getting 50º to 55º, not bad. But when I got moving and had some airflow over the condenser, it dropped to 42º!!! That's 50º below ambient. Not too shabby! I must say, using the digital scale and only putting in the correct amount of R-134a is the only way I will play with AC from now on. And for less than $20 it's a tool anyone can afford.

I got my scale the other day,I think it will be very handy. Our Cavalier AC drops off quit a bit while sitting still.
I am thinking about adding a pusher fan or a duel puller to move more air over the condenser. It really sucks when it's 112.
I think I can get some better vent temps with a better cooling fan. I have twin fans on the El Camino and it's Ac works much better than it did with the belt driven fan.

Bonnewagon

Lost in the Labyrinth
Supporting Member
Sep 18, 2009
Queens, NY
Hey tc1959 what year is it? Mine was 13 years old and those condensers are of the teeny tiny cross-flow type. They are very easily clogged. Mine was just about useless, that's probably why I ended up overcharging and ruining the whole mess. I consider replacing it the biggest bang for the buck. I got the Delphi but there are cheaper available.

tc1959

Comic Book Super Hero
Dec 23, 2009
Surprise AZ.
Bonewagon said:
Hey tc1959 what year is it? Mine was 13 years old and those condensers are of the teeny tiny cross-flow type. They are very easily clogged. Mine was just about useless, that's probably why I ended up overcharging and ruining the whole mess. I consider replacing it the biggest bang for the buck. I got the Delphi but there are cheaper available.

It's a 2004 and The condenser is pretty small. Its attached to the radiator, Not alot of space up front. I haven't found anything any bigger than the stock one. That's why I was looking at a more efficient fan set up. The more humid it gets here the worse the AC lays down. It works if your cruising ,but at Idle its the worst I have ever owned.
Years ago when I worked for Pontiac The had a Cooling Fan Upgrade and a heavier Relay we retrofitted to the Grand Ams.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor