AC suction hose kink with F-body hose and serpentine

UnlocatedStig

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Jun 27, 2021
Hey guys i have been reading up on a lot that you can use "four seasons 55451" with a serpentine swap. But when i was going to put everything together as a test fit yesterday i noticed there was pretty much no way to mount this without getting this massive kink on the suction side.
I'm using TBI truck brackets but i can't really see why this would make the problem worse. I know the high pressure side needs to be shorten some to create a perfect fit but every thread i could find here mentions that the suction side is a perfect fit?
I tried to bend it slightly to see if it made it any better but it really didnt.

Any ideas?
IMG_20230425_200244_6.jpg

Reactions: 1 user

Texas82GP

Just-a-worm
Apr 3, 2015
Spring, Texas
You likely won't like the suggestion, but you could cut the swage on one end of the hose and carefully trim the hose until it relaxes. Then, mark that end with it installed on the car for clocking and then take it somewhere local to have it crimped.

Reactions: 2 users

xylorex

Master Mechanic
Aug 2, 2018
New Orleans, LA
when i did this conversion on my k10 truck, i found a dryer with a head that rotated - Four Seasons 33705. i also used the Four Seasons 55451 hose assembly.

this dryer with the top that rotates solved all my problems

81yKDdon0CL._AC_SL1500_.jpg

mikester

Comic Book Super Hero
Mar 10, 2010
Small town NY
It looks like you have the same hose I used but I still had to shorten one going to the condenser. I'll try to find the reciept but it might take me a couple of days. Got a little issue going on with my house and Ive had people working in here for the past few days.

1682557080293.jpeg

UnlocatedStig

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Jun 27, 2021
You likely won't like the suggestion, but you could cut the swage on one end of the hose and carefully trim the hose until it relaxes. Then, mark that end with it installed on the car for clocking and then take it somewhere local to have it crimped.
I'm considering this but i will need to find the right size fitting too. It seems like this hose is very stiff compared to the others.
when i did this conversion on my k10 truck, i found a dryer with a head that rotated - Four Seasons 33705. i also used the Four Seasons 55451 hose assembly.

this dryer with the top that rotates solved all my problems
I saw this was available and i thought it could maybe help. I noticed that if i took the hose to the side of the accumulator instead it will relax the hose a little. But the fitting may need to be rotated for this to work any good.
Im also kinda worried about leaks if you can rotate it around. AC refrigerant is very expensive in Norway and costs me about $360 and if it leaks its all money out the window.

It looks like you have the same hose I used but I still had to shorten one going to the condenser. I'll try to find the reciept but it might take me a couple of days. Got a little issue going on with my house and Ive had people working in here for the past few days.
Please do! Im very curious as i am trying to replicate your setup.

Thanks for for the answers everyone! I will update this post as i go along so others don't fall into the same issue. I thought about buying a different brand hose to see if its any better but that seems like a gamble not worth playing for.

Reactions: 1 user

Texas82GP

Just-a-worm
Apr 3, 2015
Spring, Texas
I'm considering this but i will need to find the right size fitting too. It seems like this hose is very stiff compared to the others.
A replacement for the swage you cut should be easy to come by. Whoever you find that can crimp it for you might have it or know where to get one. If you decide to change a fitting, Vintage Air is a good source but shipping will no doubt take some time and cost a bit more than shipping here in the US.

Texas82GP

Just-a-worm
Apr 3, 2015
Spring, Texas

UnlocatedStig

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Jun 27, 2021
Okay so i got time to look at it again today (along with some other things) and I'm honestly just disappointed. It seems like no matter what i would do to the hose it will never work great.
I did bend it back to its original position just to see

IMG_20230428_221010_4.jpg

This is how it looks like if i were to install it normally ^

IMG_20230428_221118_1.jpg

If i were to theoretically shorten the hose, it will ease it a little bit in the middle but start to kink closer to the pump instead.

IMG_20230428_221349_6.jpg

Now lets say the accumulator was in more like the F-body position, it will still kink!!

IMG_20230428_221433_2.jpg

And how come the only way to mostly relax the hose is by having a exhaust header mounted accumulator??

At this point i wonder if 4 seasons have just changed the type of hose they use or if i might just gotten a bad hose.
I might just buy another one from a different brand as that looks like my only option at the moment. I don't have the skill to cut and braze the aluminum pipe or know anyone who can do it.

Thanks in advance!

Texas82GP

Just-a-worm
Apr 3, 2015
Spring, Texas
R
Okay so i got time to look at it again today (along with some other things) and I'm honestly just disappointed. It seems like no matter what i would do to the hose it will never work great.
I did bend it back to its original position just to see

View attachment 220093
This is how it looks like if i were to install it normally ^

View attachment 220094
If i were to theoretically shorten the hose, it will ease it a little bit in the middle but start to kink closer to the pump instead.

View attachment 220095
Now lets say the accumulator was in more like the F-body position, it will still kink!!

View attachment 220096
And how come the only way to mostly relax the hose is by having a exhaust header mounted accumulator??

At this point i wonder if 4 seasons have just changed the type of hose they use or if i might just gotten a bad hose.
I might just buy another one from a different brand as that looks like my only option at the moment. I don't have the skill to cut and braze the aluminum pipe or know anyone who can do it.

Thanks in advance!
Rather than buy a new hose, consider buying fittings and making a custom hose. Check out what Vintage Air has available. You might also look into the alternate part number mentioned earlier in the thread.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor