Adding a little power to the 403?

Status
Not open for further replies.
FE3X CLONE said:
The head bolt holes will need to be enlarged to 17/32". If you ream them out to exactly a 1/2" it'll be tough to get the bolts/studs in. You may also need to enlarge the dowel pin holes as well.

Good to know thank you.

This is what you want and what I'm doing myself:
http://www.realoldspower.com/phpBB2/vie ... hp?t=73603

Find a 2400rpm stall converter, rebuild your TH2004R, run 3.42's or 3.73's, use #5, 6, 7 or 7a heads and port them larger valves etc., enlarge the dowel pin holes from 9/32" to 5/16" and the head bolts to 17/32", somewhat mild cam with 0.500 lift (you don't need to go lopy with this setup) 219/226 should do, Stock A5 aluminum intake port matched, decent headers, cloyes true roller timing chain, J&S 5 main girdle (standard one for $200), 330 crank w/flywheel, stock carb or have it tuned by Sparky's or any other vendor, stock pistons/rods recond., balanced/blueprint etc... your looking at a $3,000 to $4000 with the cost of the motor, heads, trans and exhaust depending on how well you shop.
My setup will cost $2800 in the end for everything stated above, not including exhaust and a trans rebuild.

Your looking at around 400hp running in the low 12's at 110mph and will get around 20mpg if you drive it right.

Sadly none of that will apply because the car will have a TH350 trans in it not a 200R4 though one might be on for the next car (hopefully a GN or a personally built clone of one).

One dowel does need enlarged but is easy to do. Use early heads only if the bores are good or don't mind running cast replacement or custom pistons. The 403 has a HUGE bore and will breath, put on ported small block heads, BBO or even better Edelbrock RPM heads. Then you can use KB hyper, Diamond or Arias forged pistons and have pump gas compression. The Performer RPM intake for the SBO is much taller and better for a performance intake than stock. The Performer which I have, is similar to stock.

FE3X CLONE said:
The head bolt holes will need to be enlarged to 17/32". If you ream them out to exactly a 1/2" it'll be tough to get the bolts/studs in. You may also need to enlarge the dowel pin holes as well.

D'Oh! How could I forget that part when I had to have the machine shop re ream two of my bolt holes?
Good Catch!

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor