PSA: WATCH OUT! Don't Be Fooled By Misleading Ebay Ads

Some eBay sellers also list aftermarket parts as nos. Years ago, I told a seller on eBay that his his new Moog tie rods were not nos. He replied that they were nos, just not oem. To me and most car guys, nos has to be from the original manufacturer.
As I view it, technically, if it was a Moog part they no longer made but was still a new part, it could be considered new old stock, or NOS. "NOS" doesn't always have to mean factory replacement parts, like GM in our situation. Although, it's been canon from eons ago if somone says "NOS G-body steering part", it was assumed it was a new, obsolete, GM part. Sometimes people claim a part as NOS when, in fact, the part is still available from the GM dealerships. Then, it's just considered a "new" GM part, NOT an NOS part. But sellers aren't always fluent in car parts so they often figure if it's new, and old, regardless of what it is, it's deemed "NOS". Which isn't always true.

But when a part is clearly USED, and they use NOS in the description, then they're just lying. Used is used, and new is new. Could qualify for UOS, or used old stock. :)

Just be careful of the terms that sellers throw around.

Here's another one I find problematic. Anyone think this is NOS? Look at it. It may work, but it's certainly not all brandy new.

Reactions: 1 user
As I view it, technically, if it was a Moog part they no longer made but was still a new part, it could be considered new old stock, or NOS. "NOS" doesn't always have to mean factory replacement parts, like GM in our situation. Although, it's been canon from eons ago if somone says "NOS G-body steering part", it was assumed it was a new, obsolete, GM part. Sometimes people claim a part as NOS when, in fact, the part is still available from the GM dealerships. Then, it's just considered a "new" GM part, NOT an NOS part. But sellers aren't always fluent in car parts so they often figure if it's new, and old, regardless of what it is, it's deemed "NOS". Which isn't always true.

But when a part is clearly USED, and they use NOS in the description, then they're just lying. Used is used, and new is new. Could qualify for UOS, or used old stock. :)

Just be careful of the terms that sellers throw around.

Here's another one I find problematic. Anyone think this is NOS? Look at it. It may work, but it's certainly not all brandy new.

That MC solenoid is definitely used. You can see the wear on the plunger where it has been moving up and down in the solenoid. They probably had it replaced and got the old part back.

Some eBay sellers also list aftermarket parts as nos. Years ago, I told a seller on eBay that his his new Moog tie rods were not nos. He replied that they were nos, just not oem. To me and most car guys, nos has to be from the original manufacturer.
These used to be known as NORS a few decades back...as in New Old Replacement Stock, but that term seems to have fallen out of favor by peddlers of such parts

Typically they were aftermarket replacement parts from the era when the vehicle was newish

Reactions: 1 users

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor