adding power steering

Status
Not open for further replies.

beermonkey9417

Royal Smart Person
Apr 8, 2007
des plaines, il
I have an elky with no power steering, but is has the powersteering box with all the holes plugged and no hoses or pump. I was wondering if I took the pump off any gbody (305 or 350 sbc) it should fit, right? And if I do it this way, whats the ball park price range? Thanx for all the help!

v8power

G-Body Guru
Aug 24, 2007
green bay WI
should work off any car, i dont know if you have a long pump or short one, but just make sure the brackets will fit. snag the lines from a G body car though, it should not cost to much, less than 100 bucks.

JESSE

Master Mechanic
Nov 21, 2007
GULFPORT,MS
v8 power is right about any 305 or 350 chevy has all the brackets and hose's but your going to have some special tools to get the pully off and back on .the pump will not come off with them... when i say any i mean 80's chevys and gm's. your going to need a 18mm line wrench and 5/8 line wrench also jesse

jrm81bu

Comic Book Super Hero
Jul 9, 2008
Antwerp, OH
There is also two different styles of lines. The o-ring and flare, i believe.

BBC_cutty

Apprentice
Jun 16, 2008
im running an S10 manuel box in my car, its pretty easy to steer, not bad for manuel, it will save you 15+hp

beermonkey9417

Royal Smart Person
Apr 8, 2007
des plaines, il
how much do you think a manual s10 box would cost and should i get it from the junk yard or buy a new one? and another thing, would i have to drill or tap new holes or should it bolt right up? thanks

busdriver

Apprentice
Mar 27, 2008
Florida
The S-10 box should bolt right up, I even used the S-10 pitman arm without any issues. If you run a wide tire on the front you may have to crank on it pretty hard to get it to turn when your doing slow speed maneuvers, tight parking situations etc...I got mine out of a junk yard, found an S-10 w/low mileage then checked the box for any slop just in case( mid to late 80s model S-10 I believe ). Hope this helps and good luck... :D

beermonkey9417

Royal Smart Person
Apr 8, 2007
des plaines, il
so what year range manual s-10 steering box sould i be looking at?

beermonkey9417

Royal Smart Person
Apr 8, 2007
des plaines, il
oh, DUH! mid to late 80's. got it! and thanx

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor