Adjusting The Booster Pushrod

Status
Not open for further replies.

RustRocket

Master Mechanic
Sep 8, 2014
Las Vegas, Nevada
I need some advice and help here. If y'all could give some explanation and maybe some pictures, that would be great. My brakes work, and the pedal is fairly stiff. The new master has been bench bled three times, and the full system has been gravity bled three times. With the engine running, the pedal goes straight to the floor with no resistance. I was told by the local mechanic that the Booster Pushrod needs to be adjusted. When google-ing "adjusting brake booster pushrod", I get no explanations for what should be done. If you all could help me out, that would be great, thanks

G_Body_Enthusiast

Royal Smart Person
Supporting Member
Feb 28, 2005
Louisville, kentucky
I've never heard of such a thing. I've owned my g-body for 20+ years and have never had to do that once.

You said the brakes work, do they work completely? If so, check your drum brakes and adjust them. They may need adjusting and possibly could improve the pedal feel. There's a slot in the backing plate with a rubber plug, removing it allows you to adjust the star wheel without having to remove the drums. That's how you're suppose to adjust them but you can remove the drum and turn the star wheel with some pliers, turning it downward. There's a part that prevents it from turning backwards so you'll figure out which way it turns pretty quick. Give it a couple turns and put the drums back on and check. You'll put the drum almost all the way on and then wiggle it. If the drum is easy to get on and off, it needs adjusting. Once there is a little interference getting the drum off and on, you should be good.

Try this and see if it helps with the pedal.

81Regal

Royal Smart Person
Apr 5, 2009
Terril Iowa
Early A bodys had a clevis that you could adjust but I believe that went away around 73. No G body had an adjustable brake booster.

RustRocket

Master Mechanic
Sep 8, 2014
Las Vegas, Nevada
I don't know if they work as well as they should. It stops the car in the driveway, from our 12-inch back and forth "drive" that we did.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor