Adjusting valve lash on vortec heads

Status
Not open for further replies.

sbcCuttY

Apprentice
Nov 25, 2007
Im putting together an engine -chevy 350 and i want to get an easy way to adjust the valve lash before i start it for the first time....if anyone can help i'd appreciate it...has a 260 lift cam, if you need any more info just ask

megaladon6

Comic Book Super Hero
May 29, 2006
Danbury, CT
just make sure to only do it once. the lifters will collapse and loosen up the lash, just leave it be cause otherwise you'll bend pushrods. ask me how i know. :evil: and don't forget to soak the lifters in oil before installation.
what i like to do is spin and move the pushrod vertically to figure out when it hits zero lash. also read the directions that came with the cam it should specify if it's 1/4 or 1/2 turn past 0.

custom442

Royal Smart Person
Jul 4, 2008
Houston
...and if they're locking rockers, remember to tighten the inside bolt without screwing up the lash you just fixed

89Nighthawk

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Aug 16, 2009
TEXAS
New lifters should be soaked in oil and then pumped. Take a pushrod and pump the lifter about 4 times to get it full of oil, just soaking may not do it, whereas pumping will.

You want to make sure that the valve you are adjusting is resting on the base circle of the cam prior to adjustment. Back off the adjusting nut until you have play in the pushrod. Now tighten down on the adjusting nut as you spin the pushrod with your other hand. When you start to feel resistance stop, loosen until you feel it free up. Do this until you are SURE you found zero lash, where you just start feeling resistance. Now tighten down another 1/4 to 3/4 of a turn. Amazingly I prefer 1/2 of a turn.

Now if you are in a hurry, yank the valve covers, one at a time. Start the car, back of the adjusting nut until it starts to clatter then tighten until it stops clattering, this is zero lash, tighten down another 1/4 to 3/4 of a turn. If you have an old set of valve covers cut the tops off and drop them on so you can adjust valve lash warm and not get oil all over the headers or exhaust manifold.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor