All NY G-bodies emissions exempt

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bonnewagon

Lost in the Labyrinth
Supporting Member
Sep 18, 2009
Queens, NY
As of Jan 1, 2011, the IM-240 emissions test for 81' to 95' cars is gone from New York State. The cost of repairing and maintaining the expensive testing equipment (rollers machine) was not being offset by the dwindling number of those cars still on the road. They will still need a safety inspection ($10). All 96' and newer cars will still have to pass the OBDII test, where Albany plugs into the cars computer and checks for trouble codes. NY had exempted cars 25 years and older, so up to 86' was exempt as of this year. Now those with 87' and 88' models are also exempt. So go ahead and plant that big block in there!

pontiacgp

blank
Mar 31, 2006
Kitchener, Ontario
up here we are exempt but we still have to have the emissions components installed or we get a $385 fine..they have enforcement officers driving around and they can pull you over whenever they please to check the car.

JBreu

Royal Smart Person
Jul 15, 2008
Livonia, New York
Now the 1996 vehicle's are exempt from the OBDII Test???

Oldsmoletick

Royal Smart Person
Sep 18, 2009
cny
pontiacgp said:
up here we are exempt but we still have to have the emissions components installed or we get a $385 fine..they have enforcement officers driving around and they can pull you over whenever they please to check the car.

:shock: Talk about smog nazis

Hmmmm, so I guess now I can leagally sbo my jeep :mrgreen: (j/k by the way). That's great news though, cheaper inspection is always a plus.

Jbreu: only 95 and older are exempt. 96 and newer still have to be plugged in.

ElCamMan515

Master Mechanic
May 18, 2010
Central New York
I Will Remember This When I Get My El Camino Finished And Take Her To Be Inspected And The Mechanic Tells Me I Need Cat Converter, Car Never Had One When I Got It So Its Getting A Straight True Dual Exhaust. Cheaper Inspections Are Always A Plus In My Book!

RockSS

Master Mechanic
Oct 24, 2010
Enfield Ct
Nice :D ... In Ct we still have the 25 year rule ... I just went last week w/monte ... Yes it PASSED .. so now I'm just saving my pennies for the hot rod parts... 8)

nullshine

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Nov 30, 2010
pontiacgp said:

So wait... they have a bunch of guys driving around in cars (burning gas), to make sure that you have a cat converter or an AIR pump installed? Talk about hypocritical. Unless they drive little electric cars or something? Hah.

Longroof79

Rocket Powered Basset Hound
Oct 14, 2008
Gainesville, Fl
I don't recall how I got away with it 20+yrs ago living in NY. From what I do remember, they first did the visual check: lights, turnsignals, brakes, tires....and exhaust emissions via tailpipe probe.
I think we finnagled something, don't recall exactly what. But after living down here for 20+ yrs, no worries about emission control, cat's, and general inspections. I guess that's why you see more redneck hoopties on the road down here.

Oldsmoletick

Royal Smart Person
Sep 18, 2009
cny
Depends on where in NY you live, towards the city they are much more stringent than upsate in the boonies, we never had any tail pipe sniffers where I'm from. As long as you knew the inspector, it was kind of an agreement, you removed all the emmision eqippment after the NYS inspection, lol.

Bonnewagon

Lost in the Labyrinth
Supporting Member
Sep 18, 2009
Queens, NY
Heck, I remember in the old days with the tailpipe sniffer test. I would actually build a leaned out bone stock Q-jet to pass emissions, then swap the modified HP one back on after the test. Not many members of the NYC donut patrol were willing to scrunch down and look for a cat under the car.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor