Alternative Fuels Thread: E85, Propane, Biodiesel etc.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sep 1, 2006
Tampa Bay Area
I do not profess to be knowledgeable in this area, but I wonder if anyone here has used any alternative fuels to power their car or truck? Anyone using E85 with any luck, and if so what are the positives and negatives? Propane or CNG? Anyone running Biodiesel in a G body or your daily driver? Anyone here ever run a car on used fry grease? Benefits/drawbacks? I ask this because I drive a lot every year and am thinking about and researching other fuel sources to power my cars for economic reasons, but the thread is open to any and all discussions of alternative fuels and not just the ones mentioned in the title. (Moonshine anyone? :lol: ) This is meant to spark debate and as a way to share ideas so all input is welcome.

v8power

G-Body Guru
Aug 24, 2007
green bay WI
one of my good friends has a 1997 Chevy 1500 that runs on propane, the total set up was 2,000 to convert everything. i guess that is not to bad considering that his parents own a propane company. He told me that everything breaks about even, worse mpg's but cheaper fuel.

Sep 1, 2006
Tampa Bay Area
One of the things I was looking at (not in my G body) is that you can supposedly get a $1 per gallon tax credit for running B100 ( 100% Biodiesel) in your car if you can provide receipts. That would make it economically viable to use if I could find a source and had a vehicle to run on it ( saving my tips up for an old Diesel Benz!) as I drive 40-50k a year doing pizza delivery. Plus (further exploiting the tax code...), I can write off 40-50 cents a mile ( forget actual figure) as an operating expense, giving me $40-50 a day in tax write-offs for mileage plus a 30% government subsidy on my fuel costs. I drive an average of 80-120 miles a day 5-6 days a week. I wonder if any similar subsidy applies to E100 or E85? A little off topic but funny: I read that E100 is essentially 200 proof moonshine and that they are required to taint it with something to keep it from being drinkable and thus taxable as a spirit... :lol:.

morgend

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Nov 22, 2007
Des Moines, Iowa
85 Cutlass Brougham said:
One of the things I was looking at (not in my G body) is that you can supposedly get a $1 per gallon tax credit for running B100 ( 100% Biodiesel) in your car if you can provide receipts. That would make it economically viable to use if I could find a source and had a vehicle to run on it ( saving my tips up for an old Diesel Benz!) as I drive 40-50k a year doing pizza delivery. Plus (further exploiting the tax code...), I can write off 40-50 cents a mile ( forget actual figure) as an operating expense, giving me $40-50 a day in tax write-offs for mileage plus a 30% government subsidy on my fuel costs. I drive an average of 80-120 miles a day 5-6 days a week. I wonder if any similar subsidy applies to E100 or E85? A little off topic but funny: I read that E100 is essentially 200 proof moonshine and that they are required to taint it with something to keep it from being drinkable and thus taxable as a spirit... :lol:.

boil it a bit.... and you got some killer booze

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor