CUTLASS WTF-ING F? V8 Alternator Bracket Spacer Not There. Random installs.

69hurstolds

Geezer
Supporting Member
Jan 2, 2006
So I got my 85's aluminum alternator support bracket refinished, and while that's all cool and everything, I recall specifically when I removed it, it did NOT have the little split tapered spacer on the rear ear. This spacer basically tightens up slightly which helps clamp the upper pivot of the alternator when properly installed, and allows you to slip the alternator in and out when the bolt is removed. Without it, it still works, but there's no additional clamping force on the top side. The alternator has NEVER been removed from the car until now, when I tore it down for refurbishing. Only loosened to change belts. Anyway...

From that ultra low-mile 84 H/O...oh look! No spacer.
84 HO low mileage alternator.jpg

From a low mile 85 442 (without cruise control- who does that?). No spacer.
85 442 low mileage alternator.jpg

Another 84 H/O. WITH spacer. It's not low mileage, and the alternator fan is all black and A.I.R. hoses have worm clamps, so it's had some work. But it appears like the bracket wasn't swapped. It's not easy to do as it may look. Never know though.
1714135863926.png

This is mine during removal before I took it out. No spacer.
1985 442 alternator.jpg

Here's that 3K mile 85 442. Hmmm. Has a spacer.
85 442 driver side alternator.jpg

Here's a 3K mile 1986 car. No spacer...hmmm.
1714134606421.png

And one from a low-mile 86 Supreme with 307. No spacer.
1714135404459.png

A single family owned 84 with 67K miles. No spacer.
1714136541616.png

This is from a low mile 87 442. My 87 442 also has the spacer. So did both my NOS support brackets. Interestingly, my 84 H/O now has one because I put on a then-new and still available bracket when I redid the engine. I don't recall the old one. I might still have it but then again...
1714132774783.png

It is my summation that the spacer was hit or miss. That 3K mile car was built in March 85, which came after mine. I know for sure I haven't had my alternator completely off before. And the way it looks, when it's tightened, that spacer locks in and isn't going anywhere unless you tap it out after taking off the alternator. I can't say this for sure, just a speculation of the limited evidence. But so far, everything points to a "sometimes they put one in, and sometimes they randomly left it out". But if you bought a new bracket later from the parts department, it would come with a spacer installed already. That part I know.

As a side note, this very 86 442 with 3k miles on it has a beaded lid and a 622 compressor. Hmmm. That's weird. I know in early 86 they came with beaded air cleaner lids and 198 compressors and later went with 622 compressors and flat top lids. They must've went to the 622s ealier than they did the flat lids. Unless this one had work done, but I doubt it.
1714134954434.png

84 W40

G-Body Guru
Dec 9, 2009
Some of the pictures you say that don't have the spacers do have them. If you look at the ear that has the brace on it you can see a gap between them, that's telling me it has it and you just can't see the other side due to the angle of the picture. My advice if have a spacer from another bracket use it, without that spacer you're putting a lot of stress on the ears a gap plus the hole is larger than bolt and cause the Alt to be at a slight angle without you noticing it.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor