alternator dark brown wire

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dmax Cody

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Mar 21, 2010
My alternator is not charging on my 1987 buick regal. I think the dark brown wire is suppose to be hot when the key is on but i have no power there. The red one has 12 volts and i know that is just tied into the hot coming off the starter. I tried tracing it back under the dash but have no clue where is goes? Anybody got some advice or a wiring diagram before i have to tear my buick apart. Thanks.

Pontiac455

Master Mechanic
Jun 8, 2010
Goes to batt light on the dash. Purpose is to excite the fields inside the alt.

Bonnewagon

Lost in the Labyrinth
Supporting Member
Sep 18, 2009
Queens, NY
Is the gen light on with the motor off and key in "run"? If it's not, bulb is burnt and thus, no field current and no charging. If bulb is good, check for open circuit in brown wire.

Dmax Cody

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Mar 21, 2010
Well all this makes sense. I pulled the bulb out after i put the new motor in because i went to a auto meter volt gauge. So if i put the bulb back in hopefully it will work. That really seems like a bad ideal if the bulb ever did burn out then the car wouldnt charge. Also for sure it is a negative ground and not keyed ignition power?

Bonnewagon

Lost in the Labyrinth
Supporting Member
Sep 18, 2009
Queens, NY
It's only a ground if the generator is shorted to ground, or putting out less than battery voltage. Then current flows and bulb lights. When generator is putting out battery voltage or better, bulb "sees" positive current from both sides and goes out.

Dmax Cody

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Mar 21, 2010
Ok but what is the simple set up then? Can 12 volt keyed ignition power be put to the brown wire to tell the alternator to charge? My other g body is a 1987 monte circle track car that im building. Im wiring the car right now. No dash or factory wiring harness but will be running an alternator. I had it running on saturday and put power to the brown wire and had my meter on the battery and it started charging. Im not gutting my regal but just trying to understand how this does work. Thanks

Bonnewagon

Lost in the Labyrinth
Supporting Member
Sep 18, 2009
Queens, NY
I'm no electronics whiz but you would think so. Cars with gauges use the choke heater relay to alert the driver that the alt is out. Unlike a generator, the alternator needs outside current to excite the field windings(brown wire, terminal 1). Then the other wire (red on newer or blue on older cars) in the alt harness connector is connected to a central point in the car's wiring to get an accurate indication of the electrical load on the system(terminal 2).

Bonnewagon

Lost in the Labyrinth
Supporting Member
Sep 18, 2009
Queens, NY
Monte Olrac and Pontiacgp showed the correct hook ups. Basically, the "batt" terminal with the nut gets a heavy gauge wire direct to the battery +. That is your charging line. The field (brown) goes to the idiot light or gauge, or choke heater relay depending on model. The other red wire should not be connected to the "batt" terminal allthough many do it out of convenience. It needs to go to where all your red + wires congregate like the fusible link by the starter, or sometimes there's a big soldered junction wrapped in tape in the harness that is on the intake manifold. This senses the draw on the system and the regulator uses that to adjust the alternator to the car's needs.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor