Aluminum brake drum question

Status
Not open for further replies.

cartruck

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Mar 21, 2013
Maryland
Hi all wile at the junkyard yesterday i was walking by a late 80s camaro an noticed it had aluminum brake drums think i read they would swap to the g bodys but i cant find where i read it. Is that true? I picked them up for 20$ so i thought it would be worth a shot. I hoped someone could let be know without me having to pull my wheel and spacer.Inside the drum it says max diameter 243.5mm. Thanks for any help.

Brother Al

Greasemonkey
Jan 26, 2010
Westfield, Mass
They are a great addition... especially if you are rough on your brakes.
They were available on a number of late 70's-80's GM 7.5/7.625/8.5 10 Bolt-equipped GM vehicle, including S Series trucks, C10-Blazer/Jimmy/Pickups, and A/B/F/G Body's... typically they are found on heavy vehicles because it was a weight savings measure.
They dissapate heat better for less brake-fade... just make sure they are still within tolerances...
Another thing to mention is to add a pair of rear wheel cylinders for a 1982 S10 w/ manual 4-wheel drum brakes: 7/8" dia. wheel cyls vs stock G Body 3/4" wheel cyls... these offer a little more contact pressure and more volume inside them to absorb heat...

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor