American Racing Torq-Thrust or Cragar SS???

Status
Not open for further replies.

averagewhiteboy

Master Mechanic
Jun 7, 2006
Pittsburgh, PA
Hey guys.

Well, a few months back, I bought my "new" wheels from a shop. They were displayed as AR TTII's, plus they have AR caps on them. Grantid, you can change the caps easy enough. However, the other day, I saw some side by side, and mine do indeed look more like Cragars. Plus, many people have said they looked more like Cragars. Is there any way to really tell? Like stamping on the inside of the rim or anything? Also, any way to tell how old they are? Because ifthey're really AR's, and those are the caps that came on them, they're pretty old. lol. So basically, do I have AR's or Cragars?

Here's a few pics to see...

IMG_5858.jpg

IMG_5863.jpg

Picture267.jpg

Thanks!

BTW: They're 14's.

averagewhiteboy

Master Mechanic
Jun 7, 2006
Pittsburgh, PA
Yeah, that's basically the comparison I was looking at. The TT's seem to "pop out" more. But I don't know. Since I bought them from someone (and they're a bit old) I can't really tell. I just know it's easier to say Cragar. lol.

RedHotRegal

Master Mechanic
Mar 26, 2006
Ontario, Canada
Does anyone know if Cragar was/is affiliated with A/R? They look like Cragars too me. the TTII are forged aluminium I believe and the S/S's are stamped steel that are chormed (2 piece).

averagewhiteboy

Master Mechanic
Jun 7, 2006
Pittsburgh, PA
Yeah, 'cause they seemed a little heavy to me to be aluminum. lol.

I found some nice Cragar center caps on eBay, will they all fit right onto my wheels? How do you get the old ones off?

Thanks!!

383Camino

Master Mechanic
Mar 1, 2006
South Dakota
I was wondering what you were talkin about when you said they were TTIIs. They may indeed be an AR wheel, but most deninately not a TT anything. there have been many imitations of the S/S wheel. A Cragar S/S is a steel rim with an aluminum center. The TTs are all aluminum.

averagewhiteboy

Master Mechanic
Jun 7, 2006
Pittsburgh, PA
Is there any way to really tell on my wheels? Like some code to look for or anything? I mean, you can obviously swap out caps easy enough. Maybe someone had these Cragars with no caps, then someone ofund some AR ones and threw them on? lol. Not sure. But I bid on a set of Cragar S/S center caps already so they're marked properly... This is the only problem with more-or-less "junkyard" wheels. lol.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor