Annoying Idle Surge

Clone TIE Pilot

Comic Book Super Hero
Aug 14, 2011
Galaxy far far away
Where do you have the base timing set at? It is adjusted the old fashioned way of turning the distributor with a timing light. Stock base timing is 6 degrees BTDC but with mods you may need to bump it to 8 or 10 degrees BTDC. Even stock engines prefer 8 degrees BTDC. The computer only controls timing advance, it can't control the base timing.

spongbob

Greasemonkey
Oct 1, 2022
EST is doing it's thing - I burned another prom to give me 28 degrees of timing at idle and it's holding fairly steady. Vacuum gauge shows almost 15 in park and the dwell is varying between 30-35. I think what I'm dealing with is reversion in gear so the real question is how do I minimize it?? I'm thinking about raising my idle speed to where it smooths out, but I'll need to combat the engine dieseling... any ideas?
Milliage on motor ?do you have deiseling ? You could have hot spots in combustion area or tired exhaust valves back to the lash settings I suppose only 3 things that are inherent to deiseling"hot spots /hot valves.. and throttle position in (mostly ?) relevance to the first 2 would be my first thoughts secondly would be mixture richness and other odd ideas about valve duration or "someone "said octain'...by the way higher mixture contents probably cool valves then there's engine Temps how hot is the water temp ?does it need to come down10 degrees ? One thing >valve sealing <single handedly pushes more heat towards the radiator ...I hope you get it working frustrating to have something wrong and you end up going back over stuff and testing and you may be the only one who can fix it with how much more work..

Last edited:

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor