Another Battery Question / Decision - Update 10-04-10

Status
Not open for further replies.

jae

Master Mechanic
Oct 11, 2006
I may be nearing the point where I'm going to have to replace the battery in the Olds, currently have a Die Hard that was in there when I bought it and it has served me well considering the way I've abused it. But it's getting to the point where if I don't start the car after a couple weeks it needs a little help. Case in point, tried to start it yesterday after sitting in "Hell's Kitchen" for the past 1.5 weeks (100-degree index, high humidity days & nights) and most of summer, got a decent initial crank, then the rrrr, rrr, rr, r. Before buying I'm still going to take it to have load & hold tests on it to back up what I'm thinking / doing at home. The only drain I have is from the headunit (presets, clock and the like), not getting any crazy draw on the battery that I can read when off. Charging system is ok, getting +14V when running, and right around 14V when fully warm and running, battery was low yesterday, about 11.8V. Hand-held mutlimeters and aux. gauge are pretty much reading the same, even in-dash gauge is close. Alternator is a 78A unit.

I am wondering what should I choose. Because of the electrical loads I have on the car currently (basic sounds - amp, two 10s, changer, aux gauges), future plans (improved alarm, perhaps bigger amp) and my infrequent driving was thinking of getting a Red Top Optima, but also thinking of an Interstate, believe the Mega-Tron?. So did a search here, other boards, net in general and most are staying away from the Optimas; some bashes were so bad I thought they were talking about Exide / GNB batteries. The problem is no one was really clear as to why they felt the Optima was so bad, only saying the quality's gone down hill the past few years. I was leaning towards the Red Top, due to the AGM, dual-post design, warranty but now am not sure. Had an Interstate in the '81 years ago and that thing didn't die, was like it refused to let go, granted it only had to turn over a 260 but still.

What do you guys think?

Sorry for the long-winded lead-up but wanted to give as much info as possible - thanks.

MrHernandez

G-Body Guru
May 25, 2009
Jackson,TN
Re: Another Battery Question / Decision

Flip a coin heads-optima tails-megatron :)

Phoenyx

Royal Smart Person
Jun 27, 2007
Alberta, Canada

I would avoid Optima for only one reason, they are heavier (unless it's relocated to the back). If the Die Hard did good, just get another one. When your car is running, all the power comes from the alternator (unless you are sucking it dry, in that case a bigger battery isn't the way to fix it).

Bonnewagon

Lost in the Labyrinth
Supporting Member
Sep 18, 2009
Queens, NY

I'd say if you are showing +14v your system is good. Just get the biggest battery that will fit. I squeezed a group 24 into my wagon. I like the Sears Die Hard a lot. In 30 years I only had 1 go bad and they honored the waranty no problem. I also like the fact I can add water/acid and recharge if needed.

pontiacgp

blank
Mar 31, 2006
Kitchener, Ontario

Phoenyx said:
I would avoid Optima for only one reason, they are heavier (unless it's relocated to the back).

I think you'll find a red top lighter that a lead battery

jae

Master Mechanic
Oct 11, 2006

Hernandez, i'm figuring that may be the deciding factor LOL.

Bonnewagon,
That's what I figured as well, the system as a whole is good to go and can't complain about the Diehard considering it's age, the tests I've performed & my torturing it due to nothing but per "laziness" on my part during winter / sometimes summer storage. It's been a very good one. JCI did a really good job building this one, must've been made on a Tuesday first-shift (gotta check the codes :D ). It surely wasn't one of the Exide-made ones from back in the day (ask me how I know). I was thinking the same,

Pontiacgp,
I'm kind of with you, depending upon which one I might get I would think the Optima may be lighter than a L-A battery. Honestly I'm more concerned about its performance, life, warranty than weight, I'm not running it down the strip nor trying to shed every lb / oz I can.

Thanks all.

Phoenyx

Royal Smart Person
Jun 27, 2007
Alberta, Canada

pontiacgp said:
Phoenyx said:
I would avoid Optima for only one reason, they are heavier (unless it's relocated to the back).

I think you'll find a red top lighter that a lead battery

Really? Hmm, learn something new everyday lol. I've been trying to figure out what the differences were between the different Optimas. Never thought about the weight lol.

jae

Master Mechanic
Oct 11, 2006
Sorry for the delay guys, been getting the house projects done & trying to get the shop built so the car's had to sit. Even stopped helping other people on their vehicles :cry: .

Decided to go with an Interstate battery, an MT-75, picked it up at their WDC Saturday morning so maybe I'll actually put it in this week. Got 30% off. Got the Diehard tested and just as I thought it had a bad cell but lasting 8-1/2 years it did damn well.

I almost went with the Optima Red, could've gotten 20% off. Maybe if I had more electrical loads I'd went that route.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor