Another engine question :V

Status
Not open for further replies.

thirteenwithinfinity

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Sep 27, 2008
Tigard, OR
The 267 doesn't seem to take to hills too well. At least mine.

Is it just the fact that its a little underpowered that it struggle uphill a little or could there potentially be a problem with the motor? Theres alot of hills out here and generally, its a workout to get up them between 35-45 mph.
The car moves but it runs around ~190ish degrees. I'm used to it running anywhere between 140 and 160.

Could it just be the fact that its a 3 speed that it runs higher in RPMs and therefor hotter? :V

bowtie81

Apprentice
Jul 28, 2007
going up alot of hills puts quite a bit of strain on a motor, especially a 267. how many miles are on it?

megaladon6

Comic Book Super Hero
May 29, 2006
Danbury, CT
190* is normal on a stock motor. but if it ran in the same conditions at 160 then i'd do a radiator flush, maybe a new t-stat.
it sounds like the engine is low on power. first check the spark plugs and other tune-up components, including the o2 sensor if equipped.

thirteenwithinfinity

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Sep 27, 2008
Tigard, OR
bowtie81 said:
going up alot of hills puts quite a bit of strain on a motor, especially a 267. how many miles are on it?

Honestly, I have no idea.
The car, itself, has 200k on the chassis.

The motor came from another car. So I don't know anything about it other then the fact that it came from another Malibu with alot less milage on it.

megaladon6

Comic Book Super Hero
May 29, 2006
Danbury, CT
i think it'd be better to look and test the usual things that reduce power before jumping to major issues.
did you check the tune up? i saw your hydrocarbon post, have you checked the carb or tried adjusting the idle mixture screws?

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor