Another G-body new guy

Status
Not open for further replies.

sportriderOK

Greasemonkey
Mar 3, 2016
Mannford, OK
m.jpg
Hey everyone, name's Ken, and I live in Oklahoma. I've been messing with Vega's the last few years, and I have a long term 66 Impala convertible full rebuild going. So of course it was time for another project! I've had a 78 Monte Carlo, and 84 ss and 87 SS Aerocoupe over the years. My favorite was the 78. It was thrashed and ugly, but the 305 ran good and it was a factory 4 speed. Even though it was a piece of crap, that car is one of my favorite memories from my misspent youth.

When I decided I wanted another 3rd gen Monte for my stash, I was kind of surprised at how rare they have become. I guess I shouldn't be, at the rate my 78 was consuming itself. So when I saw this 79 pop up on Ebay last month my interest was piqued. It's rough, but complete, and I had a feeling it was well maintained. I got in touch with the seller, and agreed to pay his "blue sky" price, which I considered cheap. It cost as much to ship it from Oregon as I paid for it. And I was right, the previous owner bought it in 1989 (same year I bought my 78), and used it as a daily driver until spring of 2015, when he traded it to a Nissan store. It bounced around a few wholesalers until my guy got it. The air cleaner element and plugs are new, and the coolant and oil look great. The car runs good after it warms up, and even with the shredded interior, the only rattle inside is from the missing door lock knob.

My plans are to start inside and work my way out, and bring it back to stock, with some upgrades here and there. Here is the starting point, and I will begin a build thread soon.

Ken
sportriderOK

Reactions: 1 user

GBodyShop

Apprentice
Jan 14, 2007
NYC
Welcome to the Forum Ken, Feel free to ask. Someone will always help. Unless is a really nice sunny day and we are all out driving around.

:)

Turbo Zach

Comic Book Super Hero
Sep 8, 2015
Look out gbody forum, 3rd generation Monte's are talking over! Welcome from Iowa.

theoldsone

G-Body Guru
Dec 26, 2014
Good luck and welcome. Looks like someone wash the car regularly with paint thinner.

Longroof79

Rocket Powered Basset Hound
Oct 14, 2008
Gainesville, Fl
Welcome aboard Ken!
Looks like a lot of potential there...and yes, that particular body style/ generation has become fewer and farther between.

sportriderOK

Greasemonkey
Mar 3, 2016
Mannford, OK
Thanks for the welcomes, guys. This one is an auto, and I'm planning on keeping it that way for now. I have another long-term project going, a 66 Impala convertible, and I'm tired of not being able to play with my toys. The 305 runs good, so the drivetrain will stay as-is until it gives me a reason to tear it apart. The plan is for a 5.3 ls and TKO 5-speed, unless something more interesting comes along. I'm starting inside this one, I've already got my bucket seats, console, and all new trim panels. I started the headliner this weekend, but I hate doing them and I am having trouble keeping motivated on it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor