Another Header Question--71 350 in my 87 442

Status
Not open for further replies.

jwhitney13

n00b
May 23, 2014
Beginning some work on my first Gbody--87 442. It has a 350 in it from a 71 Cutlass. It still has the stock manifolds with a very narrow straight pipe setup into flowmasters. It sounds nice, but I can feel wanting more when I get into the power band.
I need to open the exhaust a bit--I want to do headers into 2 1/2" straight pipes--may do a cross over, but not worried about that right now. Just curious if anyone has any idea of what clearance issues I might run into as far as headers hitting the frame or fitting at all....or what headers fit the best if anyone has a similar setup. I'm just not sure how differently the old 350 fits in the engine bay than the original 307.
Any help or advice is appreciated! Thanks in advance.

DoubleV

Royal Smart Person
Feb 25, 2011
Medina Ohio
jwhitney13 said:
I'm just not sure how differently the old 350 fits in the engine bay than the original 307.

They're exactly the same.

You'll find a crap-ton of info on those who've had good success with 'brand X' header and those who've had terrible success with the same headers. The reality of it is this; cheap-*ss headers may or may not fit right. In fact even the more expensive headers may or may not fit right. Usually the more expensive headers tend to fit more often than the el cheapos though. The only headers for your combo that will fit for sure with no issues are the American Racing headers but most don't want to pay that much.

So why do cheap headers not always fit? Because they are mass produced and no real effort is made to make sure that each header is constructed exactly the same. AR headers are always constructed to be precisely accurate every time. That's why they always fit.

Oh, and cheap headers tend to leak too. They will also rust over time.

If your 350 is stock or almost stock, you may want to avoid the hassle of cheap headers since headers won't make a big difference anyway. If you really want headers or your engine really needs them, spend the money on the AR headers. They will be a hassle free install, not leak, never rust, will cool off real quick after shutdown, and make a bit more power than the other headers too.

Intragration

Master Mechanic
Feb 4, 2012
Chicago
I agree, if you're going to go to the trouble of putting headers in, which I feel is a great performance mod even on a mild motor, might as well use quality parts. You'll either need to modify your crossmember or put in an aftermarket one, the driver's side header will be pointing right at the factory crossmember. Here are a couple pics of how I modified mine.

Attachments

• crossmember.jpg
    crossmember.jpg
    73.5 KB · Views: 488
  • Picture 1659.jpg
    Picture 1659.jpg
    74.5 KB · Views: 477
  • Picture 1658.jpg
    Picture 1658.jpg
    56.5 KB · Views: 477
  • Picture 1656.jpg
    Picture 1656.jpg
    64.1 KB · Views: 478
  • Picture 1655.jpg
    Picture 1655.jpg
    71.1 KB · Views: 476

ADentice

Apprentice
Jul 25, 2014
Buffalo, NY
Quick question, Im swapping an engine into my car at the moment and ive been wondering, would it be easier to put the headers on the motor outside the car or wait till its in and do it then?

86-blk442

G-Body Guru
Dec 2, 2008
West Seneca, New York
ADentice said:
Quick question, Im swapping an engine into my car at the moment and ive been wondering, would it be easier to put the headers on the motor outside the car or wait till its in and do it then?

Lay the headers in the frame then install the engine and bolt them up. I was able to squeeze mine in from under the car after the 350 was in. Btw Im in West Seneca where abouts in Buffalo are you?

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor