G-Body Guru
May 25, 2009
Jackson,TN
I have long tubes and still able to use the stock starter

Phoenyx

Royal Smart Person
Jun 27, 2007
Alberta, Canada
OK, lets forget about the starter. I need a set of headers that will go in place on my manifolds without modifying my existing exhaust. I'm pretty sure I've seen them before, but I cant remember where I seen them.

Or, how much can our stock manifold flow? Would they be enough for a 350 making 300+HP?

Blake442

Geezer
Apr 24, 2007
Minneapolis
Shorty headers kind of defeat the purpose...
If it were me in your shoes, I'd run long tubes and just have an exhaust shop chop off the manifold ends on the pipes and weld on some collectors to hook up to the headers. You certainly wouldn't have to replace the whole system.
Shouldn't cost more than $75-$100...

Some good manifolds would be fine too, but I wouldn't use your stock 305 ones...

Phoenyx

Royal Smart Person
Jun 27, 2007
Alberta, Canada
But the system I have now (stock crossmember), the drivers side goes under the pan just like the original crossover tube did, then they run side by side untill the crossmember. From there the pipes split and run like normal. And I with my crossmember, I don't really have the room for it on my drivers side.

I don't know what I'm gonna do. Also, it's a column shift car, so I need something that will clear that.

Blake442

Geezer
Apr 24, 2007
Minneapolis
If you're willing to buy/make a dual-hump crossmember, the solution is simple.
The exhaust shop can just cut your existing pipes right after they split, or they can just remove everything in front of the mufflers, and make new sections of pipe.
I did the same thing when I harvested the dual exhaust that split after the converter from my Malibu wagon, to put on my Olds wagon with headers.
I supplied the reducers and gaskets, they made the new pipes to go from the collectors to the mufflers, and I was good to go. Only cost about $100.

I also still run the column shifter...

31736620100_large.jpg

Phoenyx

Royal Smart Person
Jun 27, 2007
Alberta, Canada
Maybe I will just have that done. Plus, the car isn't lowered, and never will be, so I will have lots of clearance.

axisg

Comic Book Super Hero
Jul 17, 2007
YYZ
Blake is right, just use what you have from the mufflers back and junk everything ahead. The way your exhaust is run now is very restrictive and the new motor will benefit from the Long Tubes vs running shorties ( take it from the guy with shorties now and shopping for long tubes in the spring )

mickey-d

Greasemonkey
Feb 10, 2010
Kissimmee, Florida
You can get that crossmember from M&M Speed pretty reasonable. They also ship everywhere. Give them a call, ask for Rich.
Also, they have a FREE Forum. If you register, you get discounts on all your purchases, including Speed Equipment. They have most G-body parts, new and used, in stock. http://mandmspeed.com/
.............mickey-d :lol:

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor