Another non G Question....

Status
Not open for further replies.

midwestls

Royal Smart Person
Aug 15, 2007
Bismarck North Dakota
I've got a 96 Olds 88 with a non supercharged 3800 series 2. I had a coil pack go out on me last night for the number 3 cyl. I had a set of 01 Bonneville SSEi coils laying around (supercharged 3800 series 2). I looked them over, exactly identical. So I threw them on it (the whole set of 3). Runs great, check engine light went out, perfect. But just to check I went to talk to some guys at the local Chev dealership to cross reference them and they have different part numbers. 96 & 01 3800 non supercharged use the same part number. And 96 & 01 3800 supercharged use the same number but different then the non supercharged ones. My question is this, whats the difference? Anybody? Two chev dealerships say if they look identical and install the same with no modifications, and it runs good. Just go with it. But I don't want to screw anything up so I'm looking for a couple more opinions...

78mali350

Royal Smart Person
May 13, 2007
Pratt, KS
don't trust the chevy dealer, that's my opinion. If they are identical from what you can tell odds are something internal is different or the dealer is just looking to sell you a part so they can make some money.

dan2286

Royal Smart Person
Mar 25, 2008
Cleveland, Ohio
They all use the same coil packs. Did the ones for the supercharged engine just happen to cost a lot more?

midwestls

Royal Smart Person
Aug 15, 2007
Bismarck North Dakota
I dunno, probably. I just had a set for the supercharged motor layn around, so I figured I'd try them. I've been driving it all day and it seems fine. I wasn't tryn to buy anything earlier, just asking for an opinion. They never tried to sell my anything, in fact they thought they'd work fine.

78mali350

Royal Smart Person
May 13, 2007
Pratt, KS
midwestls said:
I dunno, probably. I just had a set for the supercharged motor layn around, so I figured I'd try them. I've been driving it all day and it seems fine. I wasn't tryn to buy anything earlier, just asking for an opinion. They never tried to sell my anything, in fact they thought they'd work fine.

haha you have an honest dealership congrats! i have a lying stealership here in the big sioux

midwestls

Royal Smart Person
Aug 15, 2007
Bismarck North Dakota
I was thinking so also, but it can't be any hotter because the plug controls that. Right?

jrm81bu

Comic Book Super Hero
Jul 9, 2008
Antwerp, OH
Advance Auto lists them as the same part number.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor